Toshiba / Motorola amp transistors

Bad_Rock

Hi I'm buying from a manufacturer in Asia many amps wich are made under my own specs. I can chose either from Motorola or Toshiba transistors. I was told that Toshiba's are the most advanced in the world for H class amplifiers but for some reason the Motorola's are more expensive. Can somebody help me to choose the best one to build middle to big amps? I appreciate your help.

Going back nearly 25 years ago or so I worked for a very small company that made true active hi-fi loudspeakers. For a long time the amplifier output devices were Motorola MOSFET's. The boss decided to try out the new (at the time) Toshiba devices and the difference was quite marked. Unfortunately as we decided to use the Toshiba's, the supply suddenly dried up for some reason and we had to go back to using the Motorolas!

Best thing to do is have a listen and see which you prefer!

Thanks for your reply. For some reason the Motorola's are 25% to 30% more expensive. To listen to them I have to request a sample that will take me weeks + money etc. I preffer to trust my luck to some of the BR experts :rolleyes: . BTW where is Paul Ears now the I need him? :** laughs out loud **:

Both makes of transistor should be fine - assuming that the power amp is correctly designed to suit. Assuming that both give a good performance, normal business practice would be to choose the cheaper source!

Insist on components being obtained from a reputable source, as there are plenty of counterfeit components about - especially power transistors.

However - I always look at things from a maintenance, or repair perspective - as that is what I spend much of my working time doing! Are there going to be spare parts readily available from the usual catalogue suppliers in the UK? Your amplifiers must be quick and easy to repair.

My personal perspective when designing equipment is - again - are the components available from RS and Farnell? This ensures that I am using current modern components that will be easily available for a very long time (hopefully in excess of 20+ years).

The worst component in products from China to obtain are mains transformers - UK Distributors rarely hold stock, with replacements either being unavailable, or at best, taking a long time to reach the UK.

John G

Archived