Wireless audio sender

Gnome

Hi All

I think I know the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway.

Has anyone come across a decent stereo wireless transmitter/receiver pair that can be usd to connect a laptop used by presenters into a PA where the mixer is some 30m away. Running a cable is a bit of a pain since there's no point having a battery powered laptop if you then have to cable up connections to the outside world, so a battery or USB powered option would be best. Incidentally we already use an effective wireless link to our data projector.

Many low end suppliers offer a complete AV sender but the one we've tried is c**p.

Budget up to £200 I suppose.

Regards

Does it have to be stereo?

Based on the fact that most PA systems are mono anyway, perhaps you could use a radio mic transmitter and receiver (with the appropriate cable adaptor at the send end of course). Your budget would just about buy you one channel, but probably not two for stereo.

Bob

perhaps you could use a radio mic transmitter and receiver (with the appropriate cable adaptor at the send end of course).

Just beat me to this... certainly the Sennheiser EV range beltpack transmitters (both the original series and the more recent G2) will take a line-level signal. The sennheiser is very easy as it uses 3.5mm jack on the beltpack rather than the more awkward lemos etc. Line input is on the Ring of the connector. Any audio supplier could make you an adaptor lead if you're not confident yourself.

If you go second hand you should be able to get a decent system for that budget. You're basically looking for a wireless lapel system, then replace the mic with the custom adaptor lead to plug in to laptop. If you really need stereo, cost will double though.

Ben.

If you have mains available, perhaps you could do it backwards (and in stereo). Use a IEM transmitter at the laptop and the IEM beltpack which one would normally plug their headphones into is connected to the PA up at the mixer. Should be able to pick up second hand at a good price.

Carlsbro do a wireless audio sender designed for active speaker systems. As far as I can tell it consists of a transmitter about the size of a radio mic reciever and similair sized recievers (2 of, one for each side). However the system will need power and I can't say I've ever used one before. Was sorely tempted for a couple of gigs, particularly in one case where the whole show was wireless mics and the multicore was there purely to feed the speakers from the desk.

As mentioned an ordinary wireless beltpack with the right adapter is your best option.

I guess you could use someting like a FM-transmitter for I-pods and then an ordinary fm-reciever at FOH.

Its not the most reliable option but probably what your budget will allow.

/J

Archived