Most essential SM tools

1. An infinite supply of patience and tact

2. The ability to listen

3. The ability to multi-task

4. Great time management skills!

5. A sense of humour

6. A never-ending supply of sharp pencils and an eraser

I don't tend to carry actual tools very much, certainly in rehearsal - I just don't need them. So long as I have pencils, an eraser, a highlighter, my show folder and my phone, I'm pretty much sorted. On show call, I usually have my Gerber on me, plus needle & thread, safety pins and a roll of gaffer. Anything that requires more serious tools than that can be patched up for the rest of the show and fixed by the appropriate department tomorrow.

1.Corkscrew

2.Spare corkscrew

Should also have the ability to laugh at the Andy Phillips/Mick Hughes/Rick Fisher story that the LD told on the fit-up and has been telling to every house crew for the last ten weeks.

KC

small torch. easily accesible with either a blue or red filter on it - so many times you end up fixing some kit/prop/costume/whatever in the dark just before they go on!

[as an aside, why is it the talent seems to always tell you they have a problem just before they need it, rather than when they realise it's an issue?]

Tools? As in what? For the DSM, then paper, pens, possibly a laptop, highlighters etc - but no real need for spanners screwdrivers - that kind of tools. For a propping asm, then a different set - more things to make, fix or modify. For the SM it could be tape and a torch? It rather replies on having correct tools for the exact job, not job title.

I got trained as an AFM by an extremely experienced BBC FM.

She taught me 4 things.

1. Make a list and make sure its all done. You can never forget to do anything when it needs to be done.

2. Look for things that only the biggest moron in the world would fall over, then get the dept involved to resolve the issue.

Because your damn sure that moron will be there on that day.

(kinda learned a new way to look at things on stage/in studio in terms of safety)

3. Always reply to comms. Even when on the bog.

4. Sharpie and elex. (used sharpie as a splint to fix my comms cable one day when someone shut it in a door and broke one of the cores in the middle of a show live on BBC1.)

Just looking around my desk now due to break in rehearsals I spy....

1x bottle lucozade

1x bottle water

2x rolls orange tape

1x roll white tape

3x 0.5mm automatic pencils

1x prompt copy

1x 30cm ruler

1x mobile phone

1x 20 pack Marlboro Lights

1x Laptop

1x note book

1x mobile phone

1x directors arse

BTW 1st post!

Just looking around my desk now due to break in rehearsals I spy....

...snip...

1x mobile phone

...snip...

1x mobile phone

...snip...

BTW 1st post!

Surely that makes 2 x mobile phones!

Welcome to BR!

:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived