Making a mini-setup

sam.henderson

Hi,

I am making a little sort of Lighting set-up and I am getting the following only I need some help to think about what else to get. You should also note this is on a shoe string!!

OK so far I have got;

DIMMING AND CONTROL

Zero 88 - Anolouge Beta Pack - 6 Channels

Zero 88 - Level 18 Desk - 9 (18 in wide) Channel Desk

LANTERNS

Vision - Black Par 64's (x2) - Price £20 each- Does this sound good??

Now what else??

Cheers,

Sam

This might sound obvious, so apologies if you've already thought about it .... but you'll need some cables to get power from the rack to the lanterns, and some stands to put them on.

My only other advice would be to resist the temptation to spend money on 'technology' (e.g. cheap and cheerful moving lights) at the expense of building up your stock of generic lanterns. You can get a lot of £20 parcans for the price of a single 150w moving head, and they'll be far more use to you in the long run.

This might sound obvious, so apologies if you've already thought about it .... but you'll need some cables to get power from the rack to the lanterns, and some stands to put them on.

My only other advice would be to resist the temptation to spend money on 'technology' (e.g. cheap and cheerful moving lights) at the expense of building up your stock of generic lanterns. You can get a lot of £20 parcans for the price of a single 150w moving head, and they'll be far more use to you in the long run.

Don't need stands but thanks anyway.

I do need to think about cables, I'm not really a LX person and this is an attempt to try and gain some stock and knowledge so what cables will I need??

Ta,

Sam

It all depends on what the main use for the rig is gonna be, obviously a small theatrical rig (for whatever reason) is going to be completely different to a corporate or rock and roll rig (obviously when you expand it a bit!)... also, how about some stands, scaff bars or even some tri lite to span accross the stands?

But first of all you need to make sure you know what your market is before you buy specifics.

Hope this Helps

Steve

P.s. Been away for a while, good to be back! (Not that I've been missed, I'm sure!)

P.p.s Doh! beaten to it on the stands... apologies! (must be slacking!)

Moving on from what Steve said...

Before you start to consider to buy ANY type of kit you need to know what type of (I presume) performace you are going to be lighting. This is because all lanterns are designed for specific purposes and therefore produce different light output qualities.

Moving on from what Steve said...

Before you start to consider to buy ANY type of kit you need to know what type of (I presume) performace you are going to be lighting. This is because all lanterns are designed for specific purposes and therefore produce different light output qualities.

Hpefuly starting with this an then building up to a sort of Music performance type rig.

Any Ideas (other than Par Cans??)

Sam

Well you have to remembering that anything more than a Parcan is expensive, even 2nd hand. Cantata 18/32s and 26/44s (of which there seems to be a flood of 2nd hand ones at the moment) are at least £100 each, which is about as cheap as I've seen for a decent, 2nd hand light. You could of course look into Patt 23s and 123s which would be cheaper.

If your looking for a music rig then Pars are your best bet really.

Stu

Well you have to remembering that anything more than a Parcan is expensive, even 2nd hand. Cantata 18/32s and 26/44s (of which there seems to be a flood of 2nd hand ones at the moment) are at least £100 each, which is about as cheap as I've seen for a decent, 2nd hand light. You could of course look into Patt 23s and 123s which would be cheaper.

If your looking for a music rig then Pars are your best bet really.

Stu

OK, I really am on a shoe string so I am going for some Long Black Par 56's, Does this sound OK?? They are priced at £13.81 each?

Sam

OK, I really am on a shoe string so I am going for some Long Black Par 56's, Does this sound OK?? They are priced at £13.81 each?

That sounds OK -

If I was doing this then I would get long black 64's (£16.24) - by far the higher cost is going to be the lamp rather than the lantern though.

James

You could look at getting some Acclaim Fresnels - nice and small, around £110 each (excluding barndoors), as James said you will also need to buy Lamps for the Par cans, and you may need plugs, hook clamps and maybe even the wiring set depending on where you get them from..

Also, be careful buying second hand stuff - bare in mind that a venue will want you to have all the kit tested and safe, and you may find that second hand stuff needs quite a bit of maintenance..

Richard

Where are you planning to use said kit?

Somewhere small, requiring only six channels, may not have a suitable power supply.

A fully loaded Betapack can draw 60A, if you were to put 500w bulbs in your Parcans, or to use other 500w lanterns, one per channel, you would be sailing very close to the wind on a 13A supply.

In a small venue, you might consider the new Alphapacks which will allow you to use more 13A sockets to supply your rig. You can also buy more channels as you need / can afford them.

(Hint: do not use both outlets on a dual socket. If you are using more than 2 sockets remember that most ring mains are fused at 30A and watch out for 3 phase installations if using extension leads to get more power )

As for a desk, take a look at the new Behringer desk, it is DMX (the new alphapacks have DMX), and has chases, memories and submasters.

Archived