recording my keyboard

musciman01225

Are you trying to record the sounds the keyboard is playing, or the MIDI notes? I'm assuming its the former given your going into Audacity, in which case I don't think it will work, you'll need a synthesiser on the PC to actually generate the sounds for it to record. Alternatively you could connect an audio out from the keyboard to the PCs sound card.

AS said above, if you are just wanting to record the midi notes, then you will need a synth, either useing the onboard one on your soundcard,or an external one. With regards to it not being recognised, I have found that If I have my keyboard switched on and connected, BEFORE I start the pc and software it doesnt recognise it. SO try starting up your software then turning on your keyboard.

Audacity is an audio editor. You need a sequencer if you want to connect your keyboard to it via the midi socket. If you can record your guitar and voice, this means you've already sussed how to plug audio into the computer - so I have assumed that you can already get the audio from the keyboard in in exactly the same way. If the idea is to use the keyboard for data entry and then replay - you won't be able to do this with audacity - and will need a real sequencer. The popular ones will let you choose audio or midi input - and probably make Audacity redundant. At a cost, of course.

Archived