Digital mixer for live sound

blackbeast250

Hi Folks , I am looking for a digital mixer , for a three piece band , needing , a minimum of 3 mic inputs and four instrument inputs,

I would also like something with onboard effects , compression , and house eq , as well as channell eq, something small , easy to operate ,

and that can be hooked up to any sound system , powered or passive, one last requirement is that I would like it to have scene memory , to recall exact settings

for different venues , and the price limit is 2000 euros,or maby a bit more if this is too little for what I am asking .

I have looked around on the net but alot of the smaller models such as the edirol m16-dx appear to be aimed more at the recording market .

Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated, Robin. ;)

The Yamaha O1V96 would be the obvious appropriate tool.

I've been looking at an O1V96 myself, but unless I'm mistaken it doesn't have any 31-band EQs on board although it has 4 band PEQ on every channel,aux and buss. What would be the best way of adding GEQ - preferably one with real sliders rather than 'virtual' ones? In fact is it possible to get some kind of digital multichannel GEQ connected by ADAT?

Michael

The Yamaha 01V seems to come in on budget. Well exactly on budget from thomann but may be cheaper elsewhere...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_01v96_v2.htm

However if you want all the stuff you have listed you are into kit double your budget like the LS9

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/ls9/index.html

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ls_916.htm

Or you could get the 01V and a couple of 31band EQ's.

Thanks for the feedback on this , I have looked at the mixers mentioned , and the one which has everything I want

although it is twice my budget is the yamaha ls9-16, this leads me to two more questions , one would it be easy to

use , taking it that I have a reasonable grasp of analog mixers , and two would I get the same or better sound quality

as a rack(my current rack) containing a midas venice 160 , dbx 1066 compressors, alesis quads , yamaha spx990,

and a klark teknik dn370, I hope it does because its an awful lot lighter, thanks again, Robin.

I use a Behringer ddx3216 and find the 4 band parametric fine for the main eq.(Better in fact because of the variable Q, don't get that with many regular graphics) To be honest, if you need more than 4 cuts/ boosts across a main then something more is happening.

I'd say the 01v96 will do you just fine. (Saying that though I can't be sure that they have a parametric on the LR outs like the behringer)

You'd get a different sound, much like changing between brands of speakers in the high end.

You'd certainly benefit from the ls9 although there are a couple of things missing that you may have liked to use (DCA's for a start). All in all they're a very simple desk to use, much easier than the 01V IMO, but then again the ls9 is built specifically for live use. You wont step straight from a venice onto the ls9 and be able to operate it 100%, but you'll soon pick it up. There are various companies who do training on the desks although I'm not aware of any around you.

Rob

The LS9 is a fab desk. Does some amazing things for the price. It will take a little bit of getting used to, mainly due to navigating around the screen, but once you've sussed it, it's great. The inbuilt recorder is very cool, and if you're particularly adventurous, you can do monitors (or FOH if you prefer) from a laptop! It's even got a guitar amp sim in the FX section, in case you forget your guitar amp!

I would say though that the sound quality would be less good than your current setup, technically. Whether you'll notice or not is another matter, you'd need a very high resolution system, and a really serious commitment to audio purity for it to matter. The reason digital desks are winners isn't because of their sound quality, it's because of all the reasons you want one. I suspect you won't look back! You'll get some good money on the second hand market for all that stuff you've already got too.

Hi folks , once again thanks for all the help , I probably forgot to mention that I am actually one of the musicians in the band

and we dont have an engineer , I will be running the sound myself , and some of the time I play alone but this shouldnt matter

as I have been doing it with the previous system anyway , One last thing which I need to ask is what people think of Kv2 ,

and what the difference in sound would be like if I sold my martin w3s and ws2as and amp rack in favour of a powered system

like the kv2 12"powered tops and bins ,I guess I am a bit tired of lugging a really heavy system about on my own, Cheers ,

Robin.

I use a Behringer ddx3216 and find the 4 band parametric fine for the main eq.(Better in fact because of the variable Q, don't get that with many regular graphics) To be honest, if you need more than 4 cuts/ boosts across a main then something more is happening.

I'd say the 01v96 will do you just fine. (Saying that though I can't be sure that they have a parametric on the LR outs like the behringer)

Hi

I too use the Behringer DDX for studio and live ( I now have 3!) :rolleyes:

Sounds really nice on a loud system.

I found the routing to be the hardest thing to sus when moving from analouge, but once you get it its there for ever.

Also being able to give a 4 way mix on stage really helps on the smaller gigs.

The fact you can recall all settings mean once you have it setup for the band its just a click to setup.

Cheers

Bob

wavesound

I've heard the larger systems from KV2 and was very impressed, I'd like to hear some of the smaller stuff but if it follows the same patterns then it should be a very good sound. I'm not sure how the weight compares to such as the W3's but you may prefer the sound, I'm all in favour of 12's on the low mid section as opposed to 15's, IMO its the 15 in the W3 that lets it down somewhat.

Rob

Archived