Matching subs to tops..

mervaka

Hi all ;)

I searched and read elsewhere on these forums that the thomann TP218 bass cabs are pretty good. however I was wondering if the mid tops I had in mind to go with them were slightly underpowered?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_tp218_1600_mkii.htm

the TP218s are 106 dB SPL, 142 dB max, and 1600W AES/3200W peak @ 4 ohms (quoted from site)

the tops I had in mind were the PA252s, which come as a set:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tampthe_box_pa215e800_set.htm

I couldnt find an SPL figure for the PA252s, but looking from the power rating it might be a bit on the small side! however the power ratings are 450/900W (music/peak), 4 Ohm (quoted from website)

I was hoping to power the subs off a powerline 3000 amp:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_proline_3000.htm

so yeah, all in all I'm probably quite rightly worried those tops might be a bit under what I'm after! unless that is, I've missed something?

Cheers!

Dave Cook

erk :S those arrays look a bit out my league. I was just looking for a ground stack. I wont be flying anything! ;)

basically my situation is I'm fresh out of education (HND in sound engineering), and I'm looking to venture out doing live PA for local bands, but leaving the option open for larger things. I did a small festival the other day, but most of my work will be on the larger end of pub gigs!

I've emailed thomann anyway, and will see what they suggest! thanks anyway

oh, cool! I've heard good things about thomann own brand products in general. I already own some of their microphones, and they certainly have a very good bang per buck!

anyway, let me know how you get on with the achat system. cheers! ;)

and I'm looking to venture out doing live PA for local bands, but leaving the option open for larger things.

Before you spend your money, find out what equipment your local competition is using and how much they charge. In most areas, PA hire is a very competitive business,

so you'll need to provide a better service and better kit than your competition at a lower price, or bookings may be scarce. And don't forget 3rd party liability insurance!

I've been working on occasions with a guy I've got to know, who's one of the best engineers in the area, and uses a very tasty ohm rig, with QSC powerlight amps. this guy also does work abroad and at glasto etc, so there's no way I can afford anything of his calibre. however, there aren't many other competitors around, as a lot of people around cornwall (my area) just put their own PA up. most of the other small time engineers just have peaveys on sticks anyway! ;)

the other option I was looking at was to buy some loudspeakers from precision devices, and build myself the cabinets out of 18mm birch ply. I can certainly do all the maths no problem, but I was mostly concerned about sourcing the wood, and whether the effort to undertake all this would pay off, compared to a thomann special? I've always had the thought in my mind that those who can, should!

Cheers,

Dave

You'll probably find that building your own will take alot of time and cost more than a budget box. However with the right design and the right drivers you can often get very good sounding boxes. These boxes may sound much better that a box you could buy for a similar and sometimes higher price. But do remember it'll only ever be worth the second hand value of the drivers and a bit of wood, even if they sound better than C7. <insert comment/opinion on C7 and household pet comparison here>

Rob

If you are thinking about building your own boxes, get on over to www.speakerplans.com and look at the forum.

If it's DIY and speakers they know what they are on about.

There's also a load of box builders who do an awesome job. Just have a look at some of the pictures that Insomnia has taken of his boxes. His boxes look like they've just come off a production line.

To be honest, I wouldn't attempt building my own boxes. Funnily enough, I heard a band last night and they were using "Studiospares, Auditorium" boxes, and they sound pretty damn good! Considering the cost etc... And from a lampie's opinion, they even look nice too!

Mark Harrison

Archived