Strand 500/I Differences

tij5987

Hi all,

I have searched web/BR/wiki etc and has answered a few of my questions but just need to clarify a few things.

I am mainly after the differences between the older 520/530/550 and the newer 520i/530i/550i consoles. I understand the differences in processors etc and therefore the need to install slightly different software. I have only ever had experience on the newer consoles and once on an old 430 console.

Looking around the web there is very little info on the diferences - so when I look at a console what differences will I see? Looking at the odd photo on the net I notice that the keys are diferent in colour etc. Is it just these aesthetics that are different? It also appears to me from the few photos I have seen that the trackball appears different in size - is this the case? If so how does it feel in comparison?

There seems to be some confusion on BR as to wether or not the older desks will cope with software v2.8.6 or not?

And finally - do all of these consoles have networker installed? ie. will I be able to use my x-connect dongle?

So if anybody could tell what the fundamental differences in both the look and operation of the consoles are that would be great. I have been looking to get my hands on a 500 series console for some time now and now I have the opportunity to, however, as mentioned earlier I have only used the later 'I' series consoles - so will I see differences and be dissapointed should I purchase an earlier 'non-I' console?

Any help as ever greatly appreciated - I realise I have been greedy of recent in the amount of posts placed!!!!

Many thanks

Tom

Internally, the main differences, as you've already established, are the CPU, memory and CS card. Externally/physically, the newer consoles have a new case design (more of a blue colour than the grey of the old ones, and with 'curvier' sides and front bezel), a bigger trackball (much nicer than the little marble on the old desks!), rubberised fader caps rather than the plastic ones of old, and nicer keytops (more of a rounded design, much nicer under the fingers, and the printed legends don't wear off like the old ones do). Operationally, the main thing that the newer consoles can do but the older ones can't is to run the CommuniquePro element of the operational software - this deals mainly with data coming into the desk - DMX inputs, etc. Networker runs just fine on older desks, as will any software up to and including the current version.

I've just discovered another difference which had never struck me before: our 520 (non-I) takes a DIN plug keyboard, where the I-version desks take a regular PS/2 plug keyboard. It's never been important before, but when our DIN plug keyboard died last week it suddenly became very important!

I've just discovered another difference which had never struck me before: our 520 (non-I) takes a DIN plug keyboard, where the I-version desks take a regular PS/2 plug keyboard. It's never been important before, but when our DIN plug keyboard died last week it suddenly became very important!
DIN and PS/2 use the same protocol, so you can (usually) just use an adapter.

I'm not sure where you'd buy one from, but you can make one with a DIN plug and mini-DIN socket.

The pinouts are here: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/otherConnector-c.html

I'm not sure where you'd buy one from, but you can make one with a DIN plug and mini-DIN socket.

The pinouts are here: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/otherConnector-c.html

RS stock them (182-4065) and at £1.15+VAT are surprisingly inexpensive (for RS). Maplin carry them as well (L90BT) though they're about 4.5 times more expensive than RS for some reason!

Yeah, we've come to the conclusion that this is going to be a much easier solution than trying to find a DIN keyboard! The local computer store has the adapter we need, so we can now label cues again :rolleyes:

Archived