DMX splitter to 4 Multidims

Gerry

Hi

Just ordered a 4 way DMX splitter and 4 Multidims.

Easier because of layout to use a splitter feeding the 4 Multidims than to simply daisy chain the multidims.

Do I need a terminator on each of the Multidims?

Cheers

Gerry

Mark s is correct that yes you do need to terminate each output of a splitter, I'll have to leave it to other people with more experience of the Multidims as to whether or not they self terminate although as Sam says there is no harm in using them if they do self terminate. Equally with a splitter and good/short cable runs, you'll probably get away without any termination. But that is as ever a gamble, and your choice whether you want to risk it. For further "discussion" on this subject search the BR.

I have a four way splitter which has one input and five outputs, one output is to continue the daisy chain and four outputs are the split.

If it is placed at the end of the line I terminate the daisy chain output but have never bothered terminating the four split lines.

I always terminate the end of the main DMX line in all applications.

Wuddy,

Surely that logic is a bit skewed?! If you always terminate the through output then surely it should follow that you should terminate the replicated outputs? There is no difference to the signal and it needs the same care..?

Gerry,

Further to what has been said already, even if they do self terminate adding a terminator will not hurt and will probably help promote good practice of terminatation, especially if the chain gets added to.

If the through output goes mad, everything goes wierd. If a split output goes weird you only have 1/4 of the rig going weird.

The through output is more likely to suffer from signal bounce as it is on a longer line.

That said if I had the terminators to hand, I'd still terminate every line. Most of the time I don't, and nothing gets terminated.

Ok might seem a bit skewed but here's how I think,

I want the splitter which is on the main DMX feed to recieve good uncorrupted data so I terminate the main line. The splitter then amplifies/boosts the signal and distributes it the usually short distance to the equipment. As the splitter is recieving a good signal and boosting it I feel the equipment beyond the splitter will be ok without termination. If I was going a considerable distance beyond the splitter and/or daisy chaining then I would terminate final piece of kit.

As regards self termination, if this is manually switched in and then you also insert a terminator into the through outlet you are effectively puting two terminators in parallel and thus halfing the value which may lead to problems.

If self termination is automatic and switches out when you insert a plug into the through output then it wont matter if you insert a terminator plug as the internal one will switch out.

So depends how your kit works.

If the through output goes mad, everything goes wierd. If a split output goes weird you only have 1/4 of the rig going weird.

The through output is more likely to suffer from signal bounce as it is on a longer line.

Makes sense. I thought he was trying to say that there isn't a theoretical need for it. Put like that it makes sense, although it obviously isn't best practice ;)

Archived