Flys

theroo

HI

I've been looking into flying systems and just wondering, what is the most complex piece of equipment you have had to fly and how was it done? Do you have any pictures?

Also, I am very interested in the counterweight system. There aren't really any other systems available out there right? (other than computerised Nomad systems that are out) If anyone could provide any information that'd be realy great. Thanks!

Hello. couple of points, the accepted word for the bit with ropes above the stage is FLYS and not the plural of small winged insects. Anyway, moan over, we had a piece a while ago that was a big column which was raised on a chainhoist, had a box inside it attached to a counterweight bar which flew in and out of the column with a single hemp-line running through it to operate a petal drop! And it had 2 doors in the base as well. It was a right **** to rig. Also got an interesting piece in our Aida at the mo which involves a large three sided wall that flys out(on counterweights) behind a portal (when it doesn't catch the portal down-stage of it, the Macs off-stage and the LX truss Up of it!) The show also use 4 one tonne Hoists to lift large bits of set during changes.

I've also flown large pieces by using the counterweight cradles as assists for the hoist which actually moves the piece. this is so that the hoist doesn't have to lift the whole weight of the piece therfore its safer and you don't need to get such a big winch to the flyfloor.

Hope this helps a bit.

I've  also flown large pieces by using the counterweight cradles as assists for the hoist which actually moves the piece. this is so that the hoist doesn't have to lift the whole weight of the piece therfore its safer and you don't need to get such a big winch to the flyfloor.

this is how many irons work so the motor does not need to take the full weight of the iron when lifting it out

A couple of years ago when I was working for a large intelligent lighting company in London we were involved in a large scale car launch in Alexander Palace, London. In the launch show the rigging company had rigged two London taxis, two London busses and the whole range of the new car (I think the was about five versions) all of which had to fly in on cue and be driven out of their cradle to arrive on the center stage by the end of a number the band were playing. It was all very impressive and very very expensive. The lighting rig itself consisted of over 250 moving heads and nearly every par and profile we had in stock at that time!

A couple of years ago when I was working for a large intelligent lighting company in London we were involved in a large scale car launch in Alexander Palace, London. In the launch show the rigging company had rigged two London taxis, two London busses and the whole range of the new car (I think the was about five versions) all of which had to fly in on cue and be driven out of their cradle to arrive on the center stage by the end of a number the band were playing. It was all very impressive and very very expensive. The lighting rig itself consisted of over 250 moving heads and nearly every par and profile we had in stock at that time!

Do you know how exactly the cars, busses etc. were flown in?? How were they attached???

Sound very impressive and interesting

Sam

This is not as spectacular as some of the other stuff above, but it always made me laugh - years ago I used to hang around in the canteen at ENO waiting for my then girlfriend who sang in the chorus to finish work. Orpheus in the Underworld was the show, and every show the DSM had to put out the call "Flymen to the Flys to fly the fly" It wasn't until I saw the show that it made sense - the character of Zeus makes his entrance by descending from the heavens in the guize of a housefly - a rather large one with a very deep bass voice.....

oh perhaps you had to be there.

also worked on a Tippett opera where a character had to be harnessed to a trapeze at the quarter hour call / house opening, then lifted out of sight. His entrance was about 10 minutes in, as far as I can remember. Don't know how the singer coped with the boredom - he couldn't read a book, do the crossword or play cards like all the other turns....

Do you know how exactly the cars, busses etc. were flown in?? How were they attached???

No, not really but as I remember the cradles were fabricated steel and flown over anything from six to eight chain hoists, didn't really pay much attention as I was concentrating on the lighting (which was rather large too!)

Hi we have an paintframe which I think operates the way that is suggested. There is a CWT cradle with a fixed number of weights in it, and it is moved by an electric winch. Presumably (?) the winch could move the frame itself, but the CWT makes the system more energy efficient.

James

Archived