VGA distrubution over Cat5

Alec

Folk, particularly those in church situtions, what do you use for video distribution to multiple destinations (in my case, projector & multiple repeater screens)? And what pitfalls are there?

We currently have VGA converted to CV and running to a single projector, which is really quite grotty compared with using native VGA.

I'm expecting to spec up a solution based on a 1-8 VGA over Cat5 distribution system. Looks like being GBP 800-1,200 depending on what we buy, to cater for 6 destinations.

Folk, particularly those in church situtions, what do you use for video distribution to multiple destinations (in my case, projector & multiple repeater screens)? And what pitfalls are there?

We currently have VGA converted to CV and running to a single projector, which is really quite grotty compared with using native VGA.

I'm expecting to spec up a solution based on a 1-8 VGA over Cat5 distribution system. Looks like being GBP 800-1,200 depending on what we buy, to cater for 6 destinations.

I work in the corporate events industry as a video engineer.. Many ways in which I would do a single source to multiple destinations.

1:) RGBhv Ditribution Amp (extron or similar- high bandwidth) utilising 5wire bnc looms at distances required to get the signal there. This is probably the best way and medium distance and the looms can easily be adapted to vga connectors at monitor and pprojector ends.

2:)Extron Matrix- signals in, can be sent to whatever destinations selected as long as all are same signal type. So main and back up laptops etc...expensive but flexible method

3:) Cat 5..you can use a cat 5 hub to send the same video signal to a number of cat5 recievers. I would only use this method if the cable runs were in excess of 100m as this is the point where you will lose alot of bandwidth with coax bnc's. I think fsr make a solution for this, as well as Rose electronics/Crystalview. I personally don't rate the quality of the extron versions. Ps..when I use cat5, I generally use crystalview boxes which can be calibrated with a keyboard plugged in.

4:) Vga Da and Vga cables...this is a last resort and wouldn't recommend, even the highest quality cables will lose important bandwidth as you will see with "ringing" "reflections" etc..and everytime you put a vga joiner in line you will lose even more bandwidth.

Remember which ever way you decide to install/cable it..Bandwith is important, you may start with a high bandwidth signal, but as soon as u install a lower bandwith piece of cable the bandwith of the system reduces to that of the cable...Use the best quality cables you can.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• 2 months later...

Plumped for the CatX range from SyRetail in the end.

£300 for an 8 way hub, then £100 per receiver. Very pleased with it.

• Great quality, and fantastic after our old composite video feed.
  • Love using Ca5 cable for this. Can treat cable as disposable, and reterminate as required. Not worried if cable gets trashed.
  • Lovely neat little boxes.
  • Power is required to only one of the devices. Like this a lot, it means that we can power up the hub and just use the receivers as a "passive" device.

Hmmms:

• Why are these things so expensive? Guessing there's not really that much stuff inside. But I have noticed that you can spend much, much more on similar kit.
  • Each receiver has made me think it's not working when first connected up, then a quick tweak of the tuning knob gets it all synced up perfectly.

Of course, now we're firmly in the VGA distribution world, the next thing I need is a scaler/switcher to allow ad-hoc feeds from other sources for the rare time we're not using a PC, or when a last minute DVD or camcorder appears...

Of course, now we're firmly in the VGA distribution world, the next thing I need is a scaler/switcher to allow ad-hoc feeds from other sources for the rare time we're not using a PC, or when a last minute DVD or camcorder appears...

Save your money, use the PC to play the DVD through software.

I would imagine you could use a video capture card to get composite into your computer but I know nothing at all about this and the problems that could ensue. Quality? Latency?

Peter

Save your money, use the PC to play the DVD through software.

I would imagine you could use a video capture card to get composite into your computer but I know nothing at all about this and the problems that could ensue. Quality? Latency?

Well, that's all exactly the plan, BUT, there's always the unplanned for when we've got unskilled operators who just need to play something, and the simple plug'n'playness of just being able to plug in.

Got a vid capture card for the PC and it works OK.

If I can pick up a reasonable scaler from eBay then it'll be a handy bit of kit to go in the rack, but not planning to shell out megabucks.

Archived