Which is your favorite live Digital Desk?

Hugh

Digital desks  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite live Digital Desk?

• Yamaha LS9
    • Yamaha M7CL
    • Yamaha PM5D
    • Digico D5
    • Digidesign Venue
    • Digidesign D-Show Profile
    • Midas XL8
    • Soundcraft Vi6 or Vi4
    • Don't Know
    • Other digital desk
  2. 2. Which digital desks have you actually used on a show?

• Yamaha LS9
    • Yamaha M7CL
    • Yamaha PM5D
    • Digico D5
    • Digidesign Venue
    • Midas XL8
    • Soundcraft Vi6 or Vi4
    • All of the above
    • Other digital desk
  3. 3. Which digital desk have you used most?

• Yamaha LS9
    • Yamaha M7CL
    • Yamaha PM5D
    • Digico D5
    • Digidesign Venue
    • Midas XL8
    • Soundcraft Vi6 or Vi4
    • Don't Know
    • Lost count

Hi. I just thought this would be interesting. The desks are listed in no particular order. I apologise to those manufacturers that have been missed out, there is no reason for non inclusion other than there are only 10 poll options.

Please be truthful, manufacturers tell us everyone is using them, but are we really? If I have missed out your favorite please post about it.

There is no "none of the above" option on the third question.

Indeed - where is the venerable O1v96 in that list?

I do find it interesting that Yamaha dominate the list. I like the O1v for it's size to channel ratio, and flexibility - the M7 is nice and I would reccomend it to many theatres, but for gigging (especially with smaller bands) I really rate the O1v96.

I'm eagerly awaiting the smaller more affordable digital desks from A&H based around the iLive, which they told me they were working on at ABTT, I'd also like to see more offerings from Soundcraft at that end of the market - it's a shame it's dominated by one manufacturer.

Sigh! How soon they forget my venerable (at age 3 years!) DM1000! It's brought me a lot of work with it's ability to give me lots of channels in a very small (i.e. don't take out too many paying seats) footprint.

A few other thoughts: I voted the PM5D as my favourite (and also most used since the DM1000 wasn't there) but I work mainly in the theatre and corporate world. I suspect that The Digico might have won if I was in the rock music world. It's sort of how theatre loves Cadac while rock swears by (or at!) Midas. By the way, the PM5D has to be the RH version! ;)

Finally, I suspect my favourite mixer MIGHT be the Vi6 if Soundcraft can ever work the bugs out of it. I love the feature set and the user interface...but don't like the crashes and other funnies. I've never actually done a show on one...but even at a day's instruction at Soundcraft the board we were using needed at least one reboot. However, if they get it right before they ruin too many mixers' days they could have a winner!

Bob

Archived