Organizing Cat5 wires when dealing with video & power.

boyblue

I have 7 runs of Cat5 to handle 9 cameras. The average length is about 200ft & I'm doubling up for power. By the time I connect everything, these wires are going to be a mess.

I plan to terminate in a location where I can neatly arrange the baluns but how do I avoid the power lines getting in the way (some cables have video & power)?

There is no where near enough information in that post.

Is it an install? Is it temporary? Is it running from one room to another, or is it just running from control to various places arround the room?

If it's an install, invest in cable trays. If it is temporary, why can't you just do train tracks 'round the room, with cable trunks at doorways.

There is no where near enough information in that post.

Is it an install? Is it temporary? Is it running from one room to another, or is it just running from control to various places arround the room?

If it's an install, invest in cable trays. If it is temporary, why can't you just do train tracks 'round the room, with cable trunks at doorways.

It is an install and I am curious about termination at the DVR. Using Cat5, let's say you have video on the blue pair, you use the orange pair for positive, the green pair for negative and you don't use the brown pair. The power supply is 10 cable feet away from the video termination point.

I’m considering slitting the cat5 vertically (12ft away from the end) pulling out enough of the blue pair to connect the balun, I can then let the rest of the cable got to the power supply. The problem is what if I want to use the brown pair for a second camera.

I’m considering slitting the cat5 vertically (12ft away from the end) pulling out enough of the blue pair to connect the balun, I can then let the rest of the cable got to the power supply.
I'd be inclined to take all the CAT5s into a box with some Krone strip in it. Then run out a coax to the recorder, and something else to the PSU; or even build a PSU into the box. Much tidier. You can then patch whatever you want, wherever you need!

Terminating the cat5 cables into one box is easier, you can use RJ45 connectors for ease of patching, then you can run cables to the power supply, or as Andrew suggests incorporate the power supply into your box.

Why not look at Power Over Ethernet POE and use their recommended pairs for your power choices so you are following a convention. http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

Hope that helps.

Archived