Gate/Limiter/Compressor

Josh 2

Hi all,

I know aspects of this are covered elsewhere, but could anyone please help put my thoughts straight.

First, remember I'm only a newbie and never intend wire up the Albert Hall, so think small club band.

So the questions… I'm thinking about adding a gate/limiter/compressor to my humble kit and from what I have so far read, I can't figure if I need a separate unit for each of the channels in use, or is it one unit for the final mix?

I'm also wondering (I think I know the answer!)… these units seem to vary greatly in cost, is it a case of 'you get what you pay for', or do you pay for unnecessary frills on some units?. I know the good and bad camps for Behringer, but I've seen a 4 channel ( http://www.behringer.com/MDX2600/index.cfm?lang=eng ) for less than 100gbp which would mean (if it's the correct way to go) that four of these units would independently cover all of the 16 mixer inputs that I currently use, but I'd rather save up for higher brand kit if necessary.

Something else that has just come to mind, I'm also thinking about a 31 channel equaliser (my desk only has 2x9 channel), again would I need one of these for each mixer input or one for the final mix.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I have any terminology wrong.

Josh.

Stating with the graphic, it's normal to have one (channel) on each output. So left, right, mon1, mon2 or whatever.

Gates , usually get inserted into each of the channels they are being used on, but this would hardly ever be all of the channels. Note that the gate that is sometimes built into a compressor unit usually does not have enough controls to be much use, so get a dedicated gate unit. You need to be able to set threshold, hold & release at least, & I like to have attack & range there too.

Comps can & do get used in either of the above ways and are also sometimes used on subgroups. Again though, it would be unusual to find comps on all the channels.

I think if I had a 16 channel desk, I'd normally be happy with 4 gates & 4 comps, though this would depend on the band. I do have a digital desk with loads of the things built in, but most will remain turned off most of the time.

The MDX2600 is only 2 mono channels which can be linked as a single stereo channel. ;)
Hi Boswell,Sorry, your correct, I made a mistake with the link which should have been for the MDX4600http://www.behringer.com/MDX4600/index.cfm?lang=engThanksJosh
Thanks MarkPAman,I'm a bit slow on the uptake to-day, so I'm studying your comments/advice... great stuff.I'm using a 20 channel desk (the 2x9 I mentioned was just the onboard EQ sliders). I don't have any subgroups and current use 16 of the desk channels.Just going off to 'think' about this.Thanks,Josh.

I'm thinking about adding a gate/limiter/compressor to my humble kit and from what I have so far read, I can't figure if I need a separate unit for each of the channels in use, or is it one unit for the final mix?

That depends entirely on you want to achieve. You could quite legitimately use such a unit in either scenario, but for different reasons and with different results.

Why do you want some compressors and what do you want them to do?

The Berry MDX comps are actually not bad comps for the money, some people thing that the earlier ones before they got all the digital de-essing wizbang stuff sounded better, but they're all pretty good. I recently put together a small foh rack for the occassional live stuff that I do, and managed to get 3 MDX2200 off ebay for under £90. For me thats enough for 3 vox and bass, snare & tom which covers most of what I do.

Looking at that unit (MDX4600), it's trying to be too many things at once, and does not have enough controls to be much use.

Have a look at this 2 channel compressor (note that the gate here is a simple one knob jobby so no good as a gate) or this 4 channel one here , and this 4 channel gate.

Edited because it was not clear which unit my first sentence was about. ;)

Why do you want some compressors and what do you want them to do?

Hi Shez,

Don't laugh if I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'm finding the band is driving me nuts… the lead guitar won't set his stomp boxes properly and every time he goes into a solo and hits the boost the gain hits the roof. The rhythm will change the guitar volume pot to extremes. Both of these scenarios, I thought, could be helped with a limiter/comp.

The drummer has 7 mics that pick up adjacent drum/cymbals etc and I, again thought, that I could individually gate these. There is also one cymbal that is sounding (dong) much too long for my ears and, yet again I thought, a comp/limiter would reduce this.

My apologies if my assumptions are all wrong, I concede that more knowledge/skill on my part is the ultimate solution.

Thanks

Josh

...the lead guitar ..... The rhythm ... Both of these scenarios, I thought, could be helped with a limiter/comp.

To a point yes, but it would be much better to fix the problem at the source. If the differences are large then you may find that you'll have to use too much compression to sort the problem.

The drummer has 7 mics that pick up adjacent drum/cymbals etc and I, again thought, that I could individually gate these.

I would usually only gate kick, snare & toms if I think that would be an improvement, but not hats or cymbals. So...

There is also one cymbal that is sounding (dong) much too long for my ears and, yet again I thought, a comp/limiter would reduce this.

Not too sure how much success you'll have with that cymbal, though you'd want a gate rather than a comp to shorten the sound. This is where you need those hold & release controls. .

Can I also suggest the Samson S-Com 4. I use one regularly and love it to bits. Always been reliable and very musical. It is a gate and compressor combined but I only use it on drums and it does the job for them very nicely.

Don't laugh if I'm barking up the wrong tree, I'm finding the band is driving me nuts…

To answer your original question, you would need processors on a per channel basis. So, decide how many channels you want to process, half it and that's the number of dual mono units you might want to get.

I've got a couple of the older Behringer comps in my rack and they're quite usable most of the time.

Archived