Zero 88 Jester ML

benweblight

http://www.zero88.com/en/news/276

http://news.etnow.com/etnews.nsf/a6783.jpg

The Jester ML, to be launched at PLASA this year.

What are peoples thoughts on this replacing the Fat Frog?

I'm quite keen to see how it compares price wise to ETC's Smartfade ML (which can control 4 more movers than the jester)

OK, here are my thoughts - it can control 20 moving lights, apparently has the same user interface as the Fat Frog (ugh), and is small, black and cheap - that's pretty much all that can be said, given what we know about the desk so far. On the other hand, why not wait until PLASA when people actually have a chance to see the thing in the flesh, and have a discussion about it which actually means something?

The ML (as opposed to ML24) looks interesting, as it's just a mover desk, but with a DMX in so can be used with a conventional desk. I can think of a few situations where that could be quite useful.

From reading the article on the Z88 website, it sounds to me like its more of an update for the Diablo desk that z88 do... Or used to do anyway. Just something that'll do moving lights ok-ish with generics as an extra that has a small footprint.

The DMX IN doesn't sound like a bad idea, hook up any desk you want, to do generics and away you go.

Oh and Gareths right, this conversations a little pointless till we know more about the thing, guessing isn't going to help anyone later on when reading these posts, trying to get an idea on weather the desks any good or not.

Just my thoughts..

Tom

Well I wonder if a new Jester family desk means they've fixed the stupid 'feature' of snapping to end of the current cue when you hit go - creates an interesting effect when you doze off and realise you've missed a cue, and try to skip through them quickly!!

Moderation: Now Merged

As it say on there, won't be much info on the desk till at least PLASA in a few weeks.. So best wait till after then to make comments etc. By all means think of the questions you'd like to ask when/if you go see it there though.

Tom

If anyone wants to see the desk first hand it will be on our stand (D69) at PLASA, and now boasts 30 moving lights, instead of the 20 in the original press release. Please do stop by and say hello :)

I would love to, but I am not a professional :)

Zero '88 will never make a good theatre desk as long they don't use a manual crossfade of the stack. The "GO"-buttom is good when you have to do the sound, light and other effects whole alone (as in most of the theatre productions). For theatre work we still have to use Strand or ADB.

• 4 weeks later...
If anyone wants to see the desk first hand it will be on our stand (D69) at PLASA, and now boasts 30 moving lights, instead of the 20 in the original press release. Please do stop by and say hello :)

I would love to, but I am not a professional :P

you don't have to be a profesional to go to PLASA do you?

Archived