D&B or EAW.... advice please!

mwolfenden

Hi.

I know people on here seem to dislike questions asking about one manufacturer against another and that it is hugely based on its use and your own likes/opinions. However, I have to make a choice between 2 different systems to hire in for an event I am running and I'd really like some advice. Not just comparing the manufacturers but comparing the systems as a whole and which might be more suitable for my use - as I have never before heard these manufacturers' systems in these configurations.

The event is in a large hall, about 35m x 20m. The dancefloor will cover about half of this. It is an event with a DJ only playing salsa/latin american music and as a result it doesn't have to be at an epic volume, it just needs to be good quality and loud enough for everyone to enjoy the music. I'm only concerned with getting these levels in the dancefloor end of the room - I am not looking to get it to be a similar level throughout the whole hall.

So the 2 options I have narrowed it down to by doing my own research (both work out at about the same price)...

2 stacks (one left, one right) of 2 x EAW SB330, 1 x EAW KF695 (using SB330s since the company does not stock the equivelant sub for the 600series)

4 way drive rack with XTA processing and Lab-Gruppen amplification

OR

2 stacks (one left, one right) of 2 x d&b C7SUB, 1 x d&b C7TOP

2 x d&b P1200a amplifiers/control

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cheers

Mark

After reading the post the thing that I've highlighted in red in my mind is 20m.

this is a wide venue so a wide dispersion box is required here or an array of narrower ones, as your choice is 1 top per side I would go for the EAW for its dispersion properties.

Its still not going to be ideal. the front corners will suffer you could stand them slightly behind the dj in order for him to take up the "less well covered section" in the middle.

Rob

PS, is not because I don't like C7 either.

I agee with Rob - The 695s have a wider dispersion than the C7s, and this sounds like a wide room. Can the company you're hiring from supply you with SB850s instead of SB330s (or SB Why Bothers) as this will give you a stacking height advantage (EAW triamp boxes have their horn in the centre of the box, mid driver on top)? SB330s don't like being driven hard and can't take half as much abuse as the 695 tops can, so I just feel that you'd be much better off with SB850s.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes it does look like the EAW might be a better choice. While the room is about 20m the dancefloor itself will only be about 12/13m wide max, and this is pretty much the only place Im concerned about getting the best sound. So with the EAW's 90 degree nominal horizontal dispersion I guess it makes sense to put the stacks at the corners of the dancefloor pointing into it at 45degrees? Are there any problems with doing that? Would there be issues with too much sound bouncing off the side walls?

The company (stage electrics) only advertises SB330s and SB1000s on the website. I can contact them and ask about the 850s but I think the Cambridge branch isnt huge so I'm not too hopeful. I was wondering about the SB1000s but they are actually shorter than the 330s so was worried about the mid/tops being too low. Any suggestions? We would probably be able to use some staging to put them on, but then you loose the coupling with the floor - so I'm assuming that won't be the best solution? And using 3 SB1000s per side just to get the height seems a bit crazy ;)

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi all.

just come back from doing a gig with eaw KF853's with SB850's (SB850 are a bass box not a sub If you get what I mean) which would be fine for the type of music u'll be playing anything heavier and I would put some SB1000's under the SB850s and they sounded fantstic up there with D&B C4 (never mixed on C7) but as Rob said C7s have a small patteren and unless you can get 2 stacks a side go for the EAW.

Alex

853's eh, there's some of them for sale somewhere, really cheap. How OT was that? I suppose I could talk about eggs.....

1 stack of C7 a side would be too narrow though 2 would maybe be too wide, as I've said I think the 90 degree box is a better choice here, similar output figures too IIRC,I don't know I've gone from memory.

Thanks again guys. Unfortunately I can't get hold of those SB850s for the EAW boxes. How bad is the SB330? Is it worth trying to do something with SB1000s? Any ideas with how to get the height? Is it out of the question to put a pair of SB1000s and the 695 on a piece of staging or some other kind of PA riser? Or will it just loose the coupling and vibrate and sound awful?

As an alternative how about using the d&bC7 subs with the C690 - d&b's 90 degree C series box. Would the 690s be 'powerful enough' (or be able to handle enough power I guess I should say!) to cope with one per side?

Thanks

Mark

Well according to their respective websites, the KF695 is 65 degrees, and the C7 is 75 degrees...

I've never used an SB330, but 2 SB1000s are definitely overkill for 1 KF695. The Sb330s are also taller. Perhaps you could use 4 of those a side, if they do in fact suck. 2 of those will give you the same height stack (to the top end horn) as a stack of C7. 4 in a square with a KF695 on top would be a much gutsier system than a stack of C7, and I'd probably go for that. But in the end, either will probably be fine for you, even in the originally specified quantities.

Well according to their respective websites, the KF695 is 65 degrees,

Well that all depends on whether we're talking about the new ones or the old ones. 695z is indeed 65degrees. the old 695's were 90/40 boxes. If its the new ones, then go with C7, and I think alot of the sub and height issues may be sorted. As much as I hate it :D

Archived