Mackie PA System advive needed?!

Timface

Hey

I have just found this forum site out and wanted some advice please!

My Band has just Purchased A pair of Mackie C200s for monitors.

And are plugging them into this desk.. I no the power is over the required level for the speakers but at this moment we only need vocals going through the monitors for practising.

But we are looking to now build up the system so that we can use are own system at gigs... we are looking at getting a pair of Mackie s215s and a pair of s218 subs. Now the mixer will not power all of this and even if we did try it It would damage the system... So what is The best way to add in power amps to this System?

Timface

Basically, use the unpowered balanced signal outputs from your mixer, feed them into a crossover which will split the signal into two seperate signals, one for the mid/high amp and one for the sub amp. Then wire to two amplifiers and connect the speakers to the amps, job done - what amps and crossover you get is a hard question to answer without knowing your budget though

Not really - the active SRM-350 is only £90 more than the C200, so at £180 for the pair its about 40% of the price of a mackie M series amp. The active sub is a bit more on the expensive side though. May be worth considering a passive sub + amp, active top ends would be a good idea though.

Its good of you to offer them the use of your car for gigs Tom :wiggle:

The subs are ridiculously heavy for what they are, especially seeing as they are designed to work with such as the 450's. IIRC they're about 60kg for the powered 18 which defeats the object of small and compact.

there are alot of options available, and you have to weigh up the +/- of each and make a decision. try and find other people in your area with similar systems to your options and ask them about them.

Before buying Mackie, you owe it to yourself to listen to RCF. It's slightly more expensive, but the RCF ART 322-A/705-AS sub combination blows the Mackie stuff out of the water. The bass is tight and clean, and not woolly and rumbly like the Mackie sub. The 322s don't have the Mackie SRM-450's ear-splitting harshness.

I've also got a pair of the little 310-As. For the size and cost, they're superb.

BTW, RCF used to make Mackie's drivers before Mackie switched to Chinese production.

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/lang/EN/...2-A/product.htm

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/lang/EN/...-AS/product.htm

http://www.rcf.it/vediMacro.phtml/lang/EN/...0-A/product.htm

Archived