Help with speaker wiring for an artwork

moz200

Hi,

I want to make an artwork which involves 20 speakers.

I made a previous project using Sony SRS-P7 for Walkman, which I bought on Amazon. Part of the work was to remove the plastic casing the speakers come in, and replace this with wooden veneer. This was very successful. The problem is buying the pre-constructed speakers works out quite expensive (+ postage).

For this new project, I want to cut the costs and just buy the speakers, cable and connectors, and construct them myself. However, there are a few things I don’t understand.

Firstly, what kind of speakers I need.

The Sony SRS-P7 are passive, meaning that they aren’t amplified, so I guess the Personal Cd player amplifies them. Could I use these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo...u=y&doy=7m8

Once I’ve bought the speakers, I’m unsure what kind of cable I need. The cable with the SRS-P7, has two cables, each which divides into two, and each end is soldered onto the terminal on the speakers. When I went to my local electrical shop, he said you can’t buy this kind of cable in the UK… Is this true? If I can buy this cable, I’d need to wire it into a 3.5 jack, the kind that would fit into a personal CD player, but the same guy in the shop said that you can’t buy these jacks which all four cables would go into…

Also, as these speakers aren’t great quality, I used a headphone amplifier which has the correct ports for the 3.5 jacks, to amplify the sound, which worked well. I’d need to do the same with this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Hi,

I want to make an artwork which involves 20 speakers.

Hi, :D

Firstly, what kind of speakers I need.

The Sony SRS-P7 are passive, meaning that they aren’t amplified, so I guess the Personal Cd player amplifies them. Could I use these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo...u=y&doy=7m8

Yes you could (not exactly Hi Fi, but I don't suppose that's what you're after), but I think 20 of them at even 2 Watts will be too much for a Personal CD player to drive. Also, if you just wire them together in parallel, you'll end up with an impedance on 0.4 ohms which will not be good for the amp that's driving them. So you're headphone amp idea seems good, you'll want one that is designed to drive several sets of headphones, then wire your speakers in small groups of say 4. Have a look around here for information on series & parallel speaker wiring. You'll need to understand that.

Once I’ve bought the speakers, I’m unsure what kind of cable I need. The cable with the SRS-P7, has two cables, each which divides into two, and each end is soldered onto the terminal on the speakers. When I went to my local electrical shop, he said you can’t buy this kind of cable in the UK… Is this true? If I can buy this cable, I’d need to wire it into a 3.5 jack, the kind that would fit into a personal CD player, but the same guy in the shop said that you can’t buy these jacks which all four cables would go into…

How long will the cables need to be? Any two core cable (almost) will probably do.

Also, as these speakers aren’t great quality, I used a headphone amplifier which has the correct ports for the 3.5 jacks, to amplify the sound, which worked well. I’d need to do the same with this project.

OK another question ;)

Do you need "stereo", or will the same sound come out of each speaker?

Archived