Auditions

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help.

I am stage managing a Youth production of Bugsy Malone (even though its Youth its not tacky its very professional) anyway the auditions are on thursday and have been asked to run them, this will include getting people in introducing them and other stuff like that (so I am told).

I have SMed several times but have never been involved in auditions, so any tips would be really helpful.

Also when the directors (creative. music, choreography etc.) all talk about the performers at the end when they leave and make notes should I join in or would this be out of place for me to make comments?

Cheers

Sam

Yes, it would be inappropriate. If you're stage managing then you're not being asked to give artistic input.

Meet people when they arrive outside, ticking them off the timesheet or putting their name onto a list (however you're running things). Answer any questions they will no doubt have - mostly procedural. Liaise with the artistic team and call the next auditionee in the right order when things are ready. Try to ensure each audition / the auditions as a whole run to time(!). Fetch coffee and sandwiches for the artistic team... Generally it's not too stressful and almost quite fun.

Before the auditions start ask the artistic team how they want the day to run, as you are going to be the one who has to answer all the questions from the "youths" and all the parents!!

Things I can think of include:

* Are they auditioning in blocks of 10 people at a time or individually?

* Will they do principal auditions on the same time?

* Will they be doing any recalls today or at a later date, if later do they know when?

* How will people find out if they have been successful or not - after audition, by letter, by phonecall?

* What time do they envisage finishing? Will everyone finish at the same time?

* As it is 'Bugsy' will they be doing separate dance, singing and acting auditions?

* And the parents will always ask - can I watch auditions, where can I wait, where can I get a cup of coffee and where are the toilets??

Good luck - I'm sure you'll have fun!

Look after them with a smile as well. :** laughs out loud **:

You need to take your calmest manner and friendliest face with you. Many of these people will be very nervous, and your face/smile will be the last face they see before they audition.

Encourage, and resist the temptation to talk about other people's audition... even long after the event.

and as suzete says...

Good luck - I'm sure you'll have fun!

mike

Thanks for your replys guys.

Ok I've got the jiat so to some up;

* don't make comments on Actors performance, it's not the SM's place or job

* Be as informative as possible (to parents especially)

* Children likely to be nervous so look after them

* Like normally a SM should be, make sure I'm organized, got plenty of stationary etc. and have all relevant paperwork.

I'm quite exited now, wish me luck for 2morrow,

Thanks a lot for all advice, :** laughs out loud **: :) :D

Sam Orme

Archived