source 4 problem

gnomatron

I've got an annoying problem with a Source 4. I have 4 brand new source 4s; one of them has gone through two lamps - also brand new - within a minute in the first case and a few seconds in the second. The 3 other source 4s all appear to be working fine, as do the 3 lamps in them which were purchased at the same time as both of the dead lamps.

The power supply is fine, an older unit I rigged in it's place was fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause this? Anything I should check before I send it back? Obviously I'll be contacting the supplier on Monday morning, but I just wanted to check that I'm not missing anything.

ah, that's a good idea!

I opened the beastie up and had a good look and it looked fine, so I stuck another lamp in - no problems at all with this one. Maybe just two suspect lamps in a row, I guess it happens.

Guest Super-Show-Lighting
If Ur having problems with lamps blowing first place generally to look is check the input voltage to the lamp base , just don't if its a discharge really not a smart idea, :) , other important thing to check is the lamp-holder , u generally tend to only get about 6 to 12 months out off a lamp-holder Dependant on how cool it is kept during operation. Joe

Send duff lamps back to supplier for refund. They will then send it back to manufacturer.

just don't if its a discharge really not a smart idea, :) ,

The OP is talking about Source 4's.

other important thing to check is the lamp-holder , u generally tend to only get about 6 to 12 months out off a lamp-holder

Really? Doubt that unless you keep it running 24 hours a day. I would expect more than a couple of years out of a lamp holder on a source 4 or any other incandescant lantern.

p.s. please do not use text talk :o

other important thing to check is the lamp-holder , u generally tend to only get about 6 to 12 months out off a lamp-holder

Really? Doubt that unless you keep it running 24 hours a day. I would expect more than a couple of years out of a lamp holder on a source 4 or any other incandescant lantern.

p.s. please do not use text talk :)

I'll second both of David's points. I used to work in a rental shop, and we purchased Source Four's back in 1996; the same lamp housings are still in use today. Now reflectors, that's another topic...

-w

I'm sending the lamps back to the supplier tomorrow - good service from them as always, local edinburgh company, they were perfectly happy to replace them, so long as I kept the originals to give back to 'em. Still seems a bit odd to me, but I ran the lantern for a good half hour with another lamp I got at the same time and it was fine. Must have just been sheer bad luck getting two iffy lamps in a row.

Archived