Visualisation software

chris512

im glad so many people have an opinion about this!

My only bugbear about a secondary school buying something such as WYG is that it can't replace hands on experience, things like putting up with lanterns quirks, using and complementing both new and old, etc etc. Obviously essential when starting out.

just going back on this point. firstly (not that you were to know! :P )we're more of a 6th form college than a secondary school, 14-18 year old state founded school (its a different system over here in jersey). and also as much as I'd like us to be rigging, getting our hands dirty on the rig and working with real fixtures and patching, according to the h&s guidelines we have to follow I can only do this on the ground. we're not allowed up ladders, scaffolds or our new genie :D and this really restricts the amount of experimentation we can do. we have to get school technicians/caretakers to do this which really removes the learning aspect from the exercise, which personally I have a huge bug bare about which I usually make known on a daily basis.

I think that computer visualisation might give us the chance to experiment, use fixtures we don't have (although perhaps design with fixtures we could hire for a forthcoming event) and gives the chance of students learning another skill to help them. also because its our school hall, which as far as the education department is concerned is just a place for exams and perhaps the occasional bit of acting, we often don't get the chance to be in there for very long at a time before someone else gets in there, so the ability to use our network (we will have over 200 new computers added to our network in the new building) when we want is very appealing.

Archived