Multi input Soundcards / HD Recorders

iBORG88

Ello peeps,

Just after a few opinions.

I work as a FOH engineer, mixing various stuff from 5 or 6 mics to 48 channel full band mixes. I'm basically looking to mixdown full mixes to logic/sx and master later after the live mix.

My preference would be HD Recorder, reason being I'm not a great fan of pc stability!!!

Unfortunately my company seem to be more interested in money than anything else so its a bit hard the convince them to buy me HD just so I can do a few private recordings!! but it is a bit easier to get them to buy a fairly good PC/Soundcard effort!!

I had a look about at a few but I guess the best place to ask would be here with the people that use equipment rather than sell it!!

All I've managed to find so far are 10x10 cards, I'm really looking for more inputs, 24-36 would be good.

Any advice on either HD recorders or multi input sc's would be cool,

Cheers peeps

I've just bought an Alesis I|O 26, which seems to be a remarkable bargain. 8 ins and outs on board, plus 2 ADAT inputs. So combined with a couple of Behringer ADA8000s (or similar) and you've got 24 inputs. The unit is about £300. I think you're right about PC stability though. I would be apprehensive about trusting an important live recording to it.

Hi,

I've been running a Macbook Pro with a Metric Halo 2882 on live shows for some time. It's been very solid with the Metric Halo Recording Software, It will

take up to 18 inputs (1 x ADAT, 8 x Analogue and 1 x AES)

On the HD front I have found the Mackie SDR to be very reliable (Although sadly they are no longer in production) Once I was in cyprus doing a recording in a

remote village, There was a power cut mid-show and amazingly the Mackie captured everything glitch free!

Regards

Griff Hewis

I've been looking at something similar for live recording. There are now several devices with 8 analogue inputs and 16 ADAT inputs that connect to the computer via Firewire. The Alesis IO26 is one while Focusrite have the Saffire Pro 26 and Presonus have one too (but their names are so similar that I can never remember which one is which). MOTU were probably first in the market with their 2408 but that requires its own proprietrary firewire card. RME are also worth looking at although they are a little more expensive than the manufacturers that I've already mentioned.

With most of these you will need to use an external A/D like the Behringer ADA8000 or equivalent to add extra analogue channels. Driver stability is also an issue - RME have been making firewire interfaces for a long time whereas some of the other manufacturers are relatively new to the firewire interface business and haven't quite got to grips with the technology yet. It would be a good idea to see if you could get an interface on loan if you are thinking of this sort of thing.

If you don't mind using a full size PC then I can fully recomment the RME PCI cards. I've had a 9636 card in mine for a few years now and I find it very reliable.

When you add up all the costs though you may be better off with an Alesis hard disc recorder which are under 1000 pounds.

Cheers

James.

As has been said, the usual options are modules that do 8 or 16 channels, then just buying two.

The OP might from his comments still have trouble as these aren't internal devices - so buying external sound DAs may be as awkward as specifying an Alesis HD24 or similar - as hey have network sockets, I guess you could describe them as Alesis HD24 external hard drives - which, they are - kind of.

To be honest, a darn sight more reliable. I can be p and running on the HD24 in seconds, and that is something my PC is unable to do!

When you add up all the costs though you may be better off with an Alesis hard disc recorder which are under 1000 pounds.

Yep, since an HD24 is £770 on thomann, and there's a demand for them as a hire item as well.

M

Double yep.

By the time you get 24 channels of decent sound card plus a "clean" PC to run them in, you can easily spend more than the HD24 will set you back.

...and I speak as a big fan of PC recording and mixing. However, as with anything, it's "horses for courses" and there's still a place for dedicated hardware running alongside "jack of all trades" PC solutions.

Bob

Archived