Which do you prefer

Andy!

Which would you get out of these  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you get out of these

• Strand 300
    • Frog
    • Strand 500

My school only had Analogue dimmers, but their desk is knackered (it was one of those little orange manual 2-present strand ones, whatever they're called).

They're not in the market for buying new dimmers although it would be nice as they've only got 18 dimming channels ... so are there any decent programmable analgoue desks out there? I think the Sirius had both analogue and DMX output options, but am I right in thinking it's not made any more?

Danyoung,

If your schools old desk was a Strand Tempus as you describe, then most probably your racks are Strand and hence will take a -10v control signal not the normally standard +10v. So if you get say a Frog, or Sirius, or almost any other desk then it will give out +10v analogue as will some demuxes, so make sure it can do negative or you will need a voltage convertor.

HTH

PN

The best fun to be had with a Strand 300 user is to look at the manual faders labelled with mins and seconds and then realise they forgot to put a manual time button on the desk to activate them! If you're very clever, you could work out an ascii value and make a macro, or more simply find a 500 set up a macro with the 'real' man time button, then save an empty show file, load it intro the 300 and it works (this was the official strand work-around). oddly, they've still not re-written the software to have a soft menu man time button. Maybe I was the only one who uses it?

We had a bit of gip with our 300 a while back, and have to say Strand were great at sorting it out (via stage electrics) at no cost, even though it was out of warranty.

Archived