Live Mixing Desk

MatSpencer

Sounds like you need a switcher of some sorts. Try people such as Folsom (Bahco), Extron, Analogue Way or Kramer. Scaled switching is preferable as it means your projector will just see one signal/ resolution, especially as you will be switching from PC to DVD resolution.

What is your budget and any other details may help people give you a more precise answer.

I have a horrible feeling you may be limited. A pro seamless switcher will be heading into the thousands of pounds. Especially things like Encore. There may be a domestic alternative - you could try CPC or Maplins. Maybe somebody else here will have a product they have used and can reccommend for that kind of price.

Edirol make a wide range of live video mixers at the prosumer end of the market. They make the v4 which is a 4 channel affair although at £600 may be a bit out of your budget? They make many others too..

Poppadom

looking at a pic of an MX10 - it only had composite in for the feeds so it will take a basic feed from a DVD player, but the PCs will also need to output composite or you will need extra cash for a scan convertor (which may degrade the PC signal).

just a heads up to make sure that if you buy one it will accept PC inputs.

I am looking for a 2/3 channel desk with computer and DVD input, single or dual VGA output.

Cheers

Mat

I've had a look on ebay, there is a Panasonic MX10, I have used a model like this before and liked the layout and it worked with my existing kit.

Where can I get new ones of these from?

You need to do some research by the looks of it. You require one VGA in for PC - unless you want to compromise on the quality by scaling it down to composite (your PC may well output composite - graphics card dependant), and you want to output on VGA yet you say the MX10 is ideal - it outputs composite on TX and preview.

What is your application - vision mixing, VJ etc?

what are you sending the signal to?

Have you tried googling for info. on where to buy new (do they still make them or what is the alternative.)

In your first post you should have mentioned that you had used an MX10 before and that you would like a new one. Why new - 2nd hand for your budget may give you a better option.

The more info you can supply the better answers you will get.

The issue that has been touched on is that the signals you mention are of differing resolutions and refresh rates. The composite video signals are around 720x576 pixels at 50Hz, while the VGA is 640x480 at around 50, more typically 60Hz, with the signal spilt down to the Red, Green, Blue Horizontal and Vertical Sync signals, with the composite video being all the various elements being 'Composited' into one signal.

The problem comes when mixing these signals, as they need to be scalled to one format resolution. This is quite an intensive process, having to deal with all the different rates and resolutions, and then dealing with any effects you may try to use to mix between the sources. This processing isn't cheap, and again you get what you pay for. The kramer 727 we have in hire stock RRP at £999 ex VAT gives ok scaling. One of the other scalers we hire out, the Extron DVS406 at £2200 ex VAT RRP gives good scaling. My new Barco Screen Pro II HD/SDI gives great scaling. It's scaling blows you socks off. It also doesn't leave much change out of £10k.....

It does sound like with your budget you'd be better of scan converting the PC feed down to a composite or Y/C (SVideo) feed and then using a Video mixer to mix these video sources together. It will degrade the quality of the PC feed, unless you spend several hundred on the scan convertor. But overall it will fit your budget better, and give ok results.

Panasonic have discontinued all but the MX70 IIRC. The MX70 RRP's at several thousand, but as others have said there are good alternatives out there in the shape of the offerings from Edirol.

If your ever in my neck of the woods your more than welcome to come and see the differences that the various options give.

Pete.

The MX10 was a decent mixer in it's day, but it is rather elderly now. it had two inputs and an external key - designed to be used with a synced b&w camera for captions or graphics. It has one synchroniser so can use one input as a master and then mix the other in. A few basic wipes, and a simple audio mixer are about it, really. composite video in and out - no facility for computer inputs or outputs unless they are also composite.

Have you looked into doing this with software? if you can rip the dvd, and perhaps reencode it - assuming you have the legal right to do so, obviously - you may find that you can run the entire show from a PC, depending on your exact needs. If you need live cameras to be involved then a hardware mixer is still the best solution (arguably), but if all you're doing is playing back videos then there's some excellent software solutions out there which will overall be a lot cheaper and in some ways more capable than a video mixer. Arkaos is a firm favourite of mine - www.arkaos.net - but it's not necessarily ideal.

A little pricier, but I'm holding on for Vixid to release the VJX 16-4. I only need S-Video ins and outs.

I'm getting desperate, though... it may need to be an Edirol LVS-400 if Vixid don't get on the ball soon.

http://www.vixid.com/index.php?lang=en

http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=385

Both offer MIDI control, and I'll be automating and sequencing them along with the audio, video, cameras, and lighting in Ableton Live.

It looks like an interesting product- exactly what it says on the tin- a Video Mixer. I can see it's uses, and would be intrested to see it in the flesh. But I've yet to see a conference or product launch where the AV is not tightly scripted and controlled, and it's abilities become useful.

Using it with a PC would still require the PC to output Comp or YC, or taking it's PC Data to a video resolution.

You could look at a smart fade (Analog Way SMF251-A) - they are a cheap seamless switcher - 2 VGA inputs, and (from memory) 5 composite ins. Preview output as well. It is a 1 RU device, which can only do 2 things - fade over a set time, or cut between sources.

It is not my favorite piece of kit as it has a lot of limitations (cannot fade between VGA inputs being the main one, along with the inability to store VGA signal in the freeze store), however it is relatively cheap.

Archived