Freelance

owen_mcauley

I am a technician, unhappy with the work I am currently doing, I'm thinking of setting up on my own.

What do I need to do, given that I will be doing it alongside my present job until such times as it becomes financially feasible.

I have already done some work and am being offered more.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Owen

There is a lot already written on this subject concerning Freelance or not elsewhere in the forum I beleive.

However, not sure whether this is a good time to start out freelancing. I can only judge the state of the freelance market by the number of people calling in, sending CV's and people looking for work.

Don't know how other people feel about the current state of the freelance labour market?

Guest lightnix

Check out the links I put up in the Employment vs. Self-Employment thread under Employment in the Useful Websites forum.

You could also try contacting Business Link, who will put you in touch with their local outlet. A local accountant might also be prepared to give you a free one-off consultation (again, your local Business Link might be of some help).

In a nutshell, if you are self-employed then you take on virtually all the responsibilities that are normally down to an employer.

You will need your own public & product liability insurance. Travel/medical and personal effects policies are also a good idea if you will be working abroard. You should provide all your own tools (not just small hand tools) and your own Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) which should at least include gloves, ear protection, hard hat, hi-vis vest and steel toed boots (vital in my opinion).

You should give single figure quotes in advance for any work you do, which should include any expenses you will incur, such as transport, food, etc. You should also engage the services of an accountant.

Don't be put off by this, it's not impossible but it is getting harder these days. Look at it as more of a way of life than a job.

One last thing - be very wary of becoming a one-man Ltd Co, particularly if you will "just" be working as a technician.

Archived