Paying for training

Hi all,

I am a freelance sound engineer and I was thinking of doing some of SFL group's training days and soundcraft's going live course. I was wondering if anyone new of any government body or grant system that could give me any funding for these type of courses. I have been looking around but I can't seem to find anyone suitable

Cheers Alex

Guest lightnix

If you are self-employed, you should be able to claim any training costs as expenses, provided that you are using it to improve your existing knowledge, rather than learn something totally new (e.g. another discipline or trade).

At least, that's what my accountant said.

I hope that helps, but seriously doubt that you'll be able to find any kind of grant, especially if you are already "in work", as it were.

If you do find something, please post it in here - I'm sure it would be of interest to many people.

You could possibly get a Career Development Loan, it works a bit like the loans system for Higher Education. This would allow you to take the course and then pay the money back later. Interest rates and terms are, I understand, favourable but it is not free.

Archived