Strand 530i Rotary Encoders

dougmorgan743

Hi,

I was using a colleague’s desk yesterday.

When altering any attribute, scroller or mover the encoders are really sluggish in response. You seem to have to wind away to get any where.

Not something I have come across on my console and could not see anything in setup to help.

Has any one else come across this?

Doug

Hi,

I was using a colleague’s desk yesterday.

When altering any attribute, scroller or mover the encoders are really sluggish in response. You seem to have to wind away to get any where.

Not something I have come across on my console and could not see anything in setup to help.

Has any one else come across this?

Doug

What fixtures were on the rig?

Symptoms similar to those you describe can occur due to a known software problem triggered by having units patched that make extensive use of 16-bit attribute control. In practice this usually means things like Martin Mac 700 Series running in 16-bit extended mode.

What tends to happen is that when an 16-bit attribute is under the control of an encoder the encoder behaves in 'fine control' - holding down the central green key above the trackball will temporarily put the encoder into 'coarse' mode. The idea is that when you change to a fixture that doesn't have 16-bit control on the same attribute number, the console switches back into coarse mode automatically.

Unfortunately this doesn't happen - so for example, if you've got a Mac 700 with a 16-bit colour wheel patched as attribute '.2' on the encoder, and then switch to driving an 8-bit scroller, the desk continues to operate in fine control mode - result: 'you have to wind away to get anywhere!'

I guess this problem has always been there, but its only really become apparent over the past year or so with the influx of extended 16-bit fixtures.

Ahh, Thanks Andi, we were using mac 550's in extended mode, thanks for the info.

I knew there was an answer out there!

Doug

The quick fix is simply to use the central green key above the trackball to force the encoders to work in 'coarse' mode - but it very quickly becomes really boring!

In the longer term, its worth assessing whether extended 16-bit control is really that useful - personally I think 16-bit control of colour is kind of over-specified. Arguably more trouble than its worth! :-)

Archived