Question about outdoor show....

kobe

hi all, got a few question about an outdoor show I'm providing for,

First of all I wasn't going to be providing speakers and amps for this show only desk, monitors, mics and engineering but my speaker hire supplier has just pulled out of the event and as I'm booked to supply PA for the event I'm contemplating using my own speakers/amps. I've never tried my rig outside for any large shows due to it being a short throw frontloaded rig as I'd assumed it'd sound weak (this is why I always hire in boxes) but as I'm out of time (and money!!) for this event I dont have any other choice,

The venue is an athletics field and stage is about 30' across, The event is a family event with live bands, carnival etc rather than a full on rock concert so massive spl wont be as critical. There'll possibly be upto a thousand people attending & bands will be regular local Rock/ Indie type.

Questions.

1, My system comprises of - 8 x Peavey single 15" BW & 22xt comp + 4 x 2x15" bass + 2 x 2x18" subs driven by QSC and crest amps,with a BSS minidrive 2in 6out. How effective would this be outside? will it be ok even though it's a frontloaded PA rig?

2, I have quite a few pairs of subbs (4 pairs) that I'd like to use, but unfortunately the pairs are of different makes/models so they probably wouldn't couple very well if I stacked them all together with all subs operating from 45-150hz (I am aware that different subs can cancel certain frequencies when combined)

So alternatively, would it be a good idea to use my digital xover to separate the sub frequencies into very narrow bands so for instance

pair of frontloaded 2x18" = 45-75Hz

pair of bandpass 2x15" = 75-100Hz

pair frontloaded 2x15" = 100-130Hz

this I assume would stop any comb filtering/phazing issues? and I'd imagine give me a lot of output?

any thoughts / advice? anyone tried a similar approach

3. I'm also contemplating running a delay stack to give me better coverage to the rear of the field.

as I've never done this before are there any rules of thumb to this technique? (I've read a bit about the Haas effect)

I'm thinking of using 2 x 1x15"+horn behind the mix tent which will be about around 100' back from the stage, and my BSS minidrive will provide the delay.

4,I have a spare pair of JBL 2x15" subs, do you recommend using these subs in the delay stack? or should I just place these in with the main stacks?

any other good resources on this subject

thanks in advance.

Delays are normally provide to improve speech intel at distance, subs are not normally required here.

As for the main system. I can assure you, alot of us here myself included will have done bigger events with less.

As with any event be it indoors or outdoors the balance between spl and coverage is critical. Get the boxes up high if you can, and work out so the boxes vertical dispersion just covers the back row. and "array (in a very loose sense) " them horizontally.

only put delays up that far back if there are ALOT of people that far back. Its pointless doing it if everyone is infront.

Unlike when you are indoors, you can use the backline to help you. providing it is not pointing directly at heads, let them turn it up a bit (if your monitors can keep up) and give the FOH less to do. But be aware this will also give you less control. Work WITH the bands on this score.

And finally, remember there is no such thing as throw. Horn loaded speakers control the sound better and can often reduce the dispersion concentrating the sound into a smaller area. Added to the fact they are often louder boxes to start with, and this is perceived as "throw", inverse square law still works in the same way, but start louder at a given point and you'll be louder at a second given point.

Rob

Archived