PAT testing

chappy

I know this is a technical theatre forum, and I am part of a technical team in a theatre....but I also do mobile discos when I can....hope u dont mind this one off....

I've just been asked to present a PAT certificate and PLI certificate....but from what I know you dont legally have to have either of these do you?....

all the kit is used by me and another dj... so no 'public' will have use of anything

we of course check that things are safe, but not to the extent of PAT testing everything.....

just would like to know if there is any laws saying that you must PAT test equipment and have PLI?

many thanks in advance

all the kit is used by me and another dj... so no 'public' will have use of anything
What if a member of the public falls over a badly placed cable or a bit of kit falls on them? What if someone stumbles into it and hurts themselves? What if someone comes into contact with a bit of metalwork while requesting a song and due to a fault the bit of metal becomes live? OK so the chances might be very slim and no you don't legally need PLI in this situation (as far as I know) but in todays climate is it worth the risk?

we of course check that things are safe, but not to the extent of PAT testing everything.....
Have you got a written record of your tests and/or inspections? If not, make one. Simple.

While neither are legal requirements it is perfectly acceptable for a client to expect you to have them.

The PLI I can't comment on.

You do have to "have a safe system of work", and "maintain your kit in a safe condition". How you do that is to some degree up to you, but PAT is a simple expedient to work towards these goals.

The venue has similar responsibilities, and if they decide that any kit must have a PAT certificate then that's it; it does. It would only cost a £few per item to have it tested and a certificate printed.

May well be a venue specific request. They have the right not to let you in if they are not happy with the safety of the kit or your insurance position.

You may be the only person to rig/ operate your equipment but it can still affect members of the public (I.e electrical fire). Asking for a PAT test is just a good and easy way to see if people are looking after the kit - totally reliant on the person filling in the PAT test to be honest... It is also a bum covering exercise as well - and rightly so.

One corporate job in a corporate HQ had an electrician down to actually check the kit and PAT test things he was not happy with - luckily the kit was in good condition and no independent PAT testing was required.

You should have PLI - whether or not a legal requirement is besides the point - can you personally afford to pay out if you injure or worse kill someone in an accident caused by your kit (with no proof that it was in good electrical condition) or by your rigging of said kit?

Maybe, whilst you are at it, you should also submit them with risk assessments for what you intend to do. If you show them you are on the ball it ill all be a lot easier.

It sounds like the venue take this seriously and good for them.

This is all presuming that a) it is a public/ private event you are doing and you are contracted for services. and b) you are providing more than just a laptop or DJ deck (though it should still have a PAT test) - I'm thinking sound and lighting systems here. It is also presuming that the venue management have thought this through and not just dotting the I's and crossing the t's for a standard H&S contract they are asked to fill in.

It all sounds a real ball ache when you are only doing the occasional bit of dj'ing etc.

Archived