Colour codes for marking deads on counterweight/hemp sets

Ike

Red for in, White for out, double red for maximums

Afraid that while this coding might be common, it is definitively down to the head flyman, as Suzzet says. Make sure that you know what his norm is, as you are using his flying rig. Not doing so will be a recipe for disaster.

I'm asking more from curiosity than anything. I've just replaced a load of hemp counterweight hauling lines with a synthetic alternative which is a lot whiter and as a result the head flyman's having to come up with a new system avoiding the use of white, which got us thinking.

Obviously different places will use different codes, you often end up with more than one set of markers on each line, things will get altered, colours change etc etc etc but if anyone else could give a rough idea of what they use we'd be most grateful.

Thanks again,

Ike

We use the following:

Green/Yellow: Near Grid / Deck (about 300mm to go).

Green: 1st Out Dead

Red: 1st In Dead

Blue: 2nd In Dead

Orange: Dead - not to be Moved (i.e. Tormentors, LX, Hard Portals)

The Green/Red/Blue is standard, the orange taping for static bars is not strictly enforced.

Although I haven't been allowed on a flyfloor for several years, we used to use red for an out dead, green for an in dead and Earth for a intermediate. for a time we had eye level and brake level deads, as the two flymen were used to different things.

The only problem we encountered was that one of our flymen was red/green colour blind, that always made it interesting. Flying was not a problem, but marking up was. We solved this by writing on the side of the reel of tape which colour it was.

Archived