hog 500 friday

afterworks

I'm engineering a gig on Friday using the house Hog 500. They have I think from memory maybe 6 LED pars. I'll probably be taking my Robe 250's down. Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the desk that can give me a few pointers having never used it properly before? I've downloaded the manual so am going through that at the moment!

Thanks

It is a fairly easy desk to learn in a short period of time - I have only had two gigs using a Hog 1k, and about 2 hours play time before busking the show each time - in most ways it is similar to almost any other desk in it's sort of bracket. The main thing is to get the Hog to build all the colour/gobo pallets for you (instead of doing it yourself) - it saves quite a bit of time making presets.

I have a Hog 500. I got it about 5 years ago and have used it on most of my shows since then. I like it and have only found two issues so far:

Don't let it get cold over night. I used it in a local theatre on a week run in January. It was fine for the first night, but went back in for the second day and it wouldn't boot. Suspected moisture as the place was freezing and I had only left the plastic cover over it. After the place warmed up a bit it booted fine. After that I made a dust cover our of a thick blanket and that worked a treat.

The LCD screen is not wide enough to display the first and last columns of the cue page. This is a pain because the last column is the comments column and this is where you enter the commands for Macros.

Having said that I think it is a great little desk for its era (remember the design is a few years old now). It is compact, fairly light, has two DMX universes and a good effects engine. The lack of preset panels that are on the 1000 can be a pain, but I tend to use a mouse/trackball with it.

Hope this helps

Dave

the hog button is your best friend, it does a lot of things when pressed with other buttons,

To list a few

Pig and release releases all running cues. (great at the end of the night)

Held down it deselects fixtures.

Held down it multiple selects when in the fader properties.

Set is also a very handy button when held down it fans fixtures and when held down when running an effect by spinning the offset wheel it fans that too.

To create an auto menu like mentioned above you go to setup patch and after adding your fixture s hit auto menu and then hit generate.

the hog button is your best friend, it does a lot of things when pressed with other buttons,

To list a few

Pig and release releases all running cues. (great at the end of the night)

Held down it deselects fixtures.

Held down it multiple selects when in the fader properties.

Set is also a very handy button when held down it fans fixtures and when held down when running an effect by spinning the offset wheel it fans that too.

To create an auto menu like mentioned above you go to setup patch and after adding your fixture s hit auto menu and then hit generate.

If you have never used a hog before this one is really hard to use as you have to go through pages and pages to find the button you need.

Cheers for the replies guys, just gives me a heads up really. I did use it last time but they had the LED pars pre programmed on the flash buttons so I just went with that. I could get away with that because it was bit of a rock night. But this time the music is abit more ambient so I want to be able to use the sub masters for abit of nice fading, and to also use my movers.

Archived