Artnet not working

jamesd

I have been tying out the Chamsys MagicQ software virtual desk and it works fine with the artistic dongle. I have borrowed an Artnet to DMX box that outputs 2 universes but cannot get it to work. I have turned on the network universes under the setup menu.

If connected to the artnet box thru a switch and the MagicQ software is started then the activity lights come on suggesting that it is outputting data. I cannot get anything on the DMX outputs even with changing the universe and the group of universe switches.

It has a neat feature of being able to take in 6 DMX universes and merge them with the desk output on another 6 universes, which makes it great as a standby / emergency backup console.

Is there anything else that needs to be setup for Artnet to work correctly>>any ideas

Thanks for the advice Martin it was the network address setting it cured the problem. Everything now works fine.

Does anyone know if this is going to be supported in the future, must be some reason to allow free use of it.

James

ArtNet has support from several manufacturers, but it does have several flaws, including blatantly ignoring several addressing rules. Consequently it cannot co-exist very well with a general data network. It is also restricted to the control of lighting equipment.

ESTA have a new multipurpose control protocol suite under development, generally known as ACN. It will be an ANSI standard and will probably grow in the States before it is widely adopted over here. In the medium to long term, I suspect that the likes of ArtNet, SandNet and the proprietary protocols will be superseeded by ACN.

Archived