Recording sound from video + other sources

Superbadger

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me out.

I am intersted in recording some audio from a video, to a PC (and consequently a CD).

I have an audio-output cable from the VCR to a hi-fi system, which plugs into two phono sockets in the back of the hi-fi.

I am considering one of the following options, if anyone is able to help - tell me what is best I would be very grateful.

Either:

>Use a long (very long) cable, with a 3.5mm jack on either end and then connet one end to the hi-fi headphone socket and the other end to the PC microphone input socket and then record it as incoming media.

Or

>Use a dictaphone and plug this into the headphone socket on the hi-fi and record directly to it, and then transfer the files to the PC from the Dictaphone.

Or

>Using a scart to three component video (yellow video, red and white audio) and using a USB convertor, record just the audio without the video. (this method is the least practical)

I am not particuarly bothered as to whether the sound is stereo or mono, if anyone can suggest the best, most efficent way of doing this then I would be very grateful. Previously I have done it by using the first method, but the cable was very cheap and rubbish and the cassette player was right next to the PC, which isn't the case now.

Thanks

-Superbadger

With what you have, don't even think about a dictaphone, and going down and then back up on a hissy soundcard mic socket is nearly as bad. However, the red and white audio outputs to a 3.5mm jack into the audio card line (or mic switched to line) will be by far the best way - audio quality will be dictated by the audio quality of the soundcard, but could be pretty good!

Thanks, that's really helpfull.

Along a similar line, can you tell me - will it damage the sound card on a PC if you plug the headphone socket into the mic-in socket?

ie, for recording audio clips from 'streamed media players'

Thanks

Superbadger

Along a similar line, can you tell me - will it damage the sound card on a PC if you plug the headphone socket into the mic-in socket?

ie, for recording audio clips from 'streamed media players'

You don't need to do that to record what's playing - in the recording device selection on the soundcard/windows mixer you should just be able to tick wave or 'what you hear' as the recording device and it will record whatever is coming out of the soundcard. Bare in mind it records everything though - emails, msn bings, browser clicks!

Archived