Stage Scan with sticky gobos

gareth

Got a Clay Paky StageScan with a fixed gobo wheel that sticks quite a bit. It doesn't seem to be any particular action that makes it stick - it's quite a random sort of thing. Nothing looks particularly amiss, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why it might be doing this. Anyone got any suggestions? Cheers.

It could be a problem with the stepper motor which rotates the gobo wheel. The heat from the lamp may have either melted the grease out of the motors bearings and is making them seize occasionally, or the lacquer on the windings has melted and is intermittently shorting out causing a lack of drive. Try a different motor if you've got one spare.

I have got a selection of spares - will check to see if one of the steppers is the right type. I was wondering about swapping out the stepper motor - but I wondered if there was an easier fix to try first! Thanks.

Archived