Temporary Demountable Structures

DSA

Just a bit of a heads up really that a new version of "Temporary demountable structures, Guidance on procurement, design and use" has been published. I know that other BR members had mentioned that they would post when it was published, and I haven't seen any posts on the subject, so here goes...

Further information and sample pages can be viewed here.

In addition (just in case anyone is interested, or relevant members have missed it) I note in my 15th May copy of "The Structural Engineer" that the "IStructE would like to know which of its members have experience of designing or checking designs for temporary demountable structures. In particular the Institution would like to hear from any members who could be listed as being willing to be approached about checking designs for these structures. Please contact John Littler, Manager Technical Activities (email removed to avoid spam - PM for details) with your experience and the type of structures involved (e.g. stages, grandstands, supporting structures for video screens or loudspeakers etc.) and indicate whether you wish to be included in the list of possible checking engineers."

Quite what they are intending to do with the above I am not sure, but I thought it might be of interest!

David

I would have thought to compile a Databse of competent Engineers with the relevant experience. Then when an engineer is faced with a job they don't know, the could turn to the DB for assistance from Members who've been there and done that.

Well yes, but quite whether or not that will work in practice is rather a different matter. In addition I was surprised that they seem to be restricting the database to members of the IStructE, when I am sure that many other companies could be useful contacts.

• 2 weeks later...
In addition I was surprised that they seem to be restricting the database to members of the IStructE, when I am sure that many other companies could be useful contacts.
That's not at all surprising - the IStructE have a duty to do the best they can can to ensure good paid work for their members - at the expense of everybody else.

That's one of the things their members pay their subs for.

Archived