Recommend me a Soundcard

timtheenchanteruk

biting the bullet and moving over to computer based playback shortly, I will be using a windows based laptop for the platform, stripped down and used only for sound editing/live playback, no Internet connection, and probably no network.

As laptop sound card are invariably naff, and PSUs troublesome, I want an external sound card, preferably USB2, possibly firewire with balanced in/out either by XLR or 6.5mm jack

I'm presuming the software used will be the part to play 2 tracks simultaneously, and not the sound card, so only 1 pair of ins/outs required, no multi-tracking here!

I'm also looking to spend up-to about £200

I've used an M-Audio Mobile Pre for various sound duties with a few different laptops. It has worked fine mostly but there is one drawback. If you suffer from ground loop problems with the internal soundcard then you will probably still suffer from the same problems with an external soundcard. You will need to pay attention to your grounding arrangements for a laptop soundcard to work successfully.

Cheers

James.

Its the balanced I/O is the problem; I use the entry point Edirol with about 1m of CPC sourced jack/phono AV lead, and never have any noise or hum loop problems. The PC is a normal PC with proper earthing, and it is plugged in to the same power strip as the sound desk.

Whatever you do, dont get a Behringer BCA2000. On paper it looks perfect, 2 x XLR in with proper phantom, and balanced outs on TRS (and six outputs at that, perfect for theatre use), but.... the software (or at least the WDM playback bit of it) is faulty. there is some type of disconnect occurs after a while, and the output is a one second loop of the audio before it went wrong. Closing the app and reopening it gives you a few minutes more workability before it dies again.

Mine still exists because its nice having a one box audio in solution for recording, but otherwise I swear I'd have sledged it.

What I'd like to try is a WDM --> ASIO converter shim, but I cant find one, only ASIO --> WDM like ASIO4All, as I suspect I'm the only person trying to use one of these things using WDM, and that the ASIO drivers work fine, but all my software prefers WDM...

Apologies if this is hijacking this thread slightly, but I was thinking of adding something to the old usb soundcards topic, and this is more current (although am surprised the mods haven't merged it!):

I'm also after a reasonably cheap USB soundcard to go with my new laptop, and was just wondering if anyone is in a position to compare the usually recommended Edirol UA25 with the Edirol 0404 USB which seems to be of a comparable price and functionality!? Just wondering if it is any better as it seems newer!?

Thanks

Adam

For Multi track recording / playback, look at the M Audio Delta 10/10. External 19" rack pre-amps, and multi-channel playback and record.

What is your intended application? Sound editing, and live playback is far too basic to give a detailed response. What is the definition of editing?

Just out of curiosity which software are you running that prefers WDM?

PCStage. It supports ASIO, but not nearly as well as WDM.

ASIO is big in the sequencer marketplace, which is where the multichannel ASIO cards are targetted at.

What is your intended application? Sound editing, and live playback is far too basic to give a detailed response. What is the definition of editing?

editing, is generally just either shortening existing backing tracks, or chopping off bits and looping to get them longer, or editing sound effects, chopping unwanted bits, multitracking multiple effects to get the desired one, for example school playground, and cars passing.

All of which I do on my current home PC (Celeron 800, 512RAM, standard sound-blaster card) using audacity, so nothing special.

for the live playback, its theatre setting, for general shows, dance schools (ugh!) etc through a yamaha MG3214FX

Archived