Bjork @ Glastonbury 2007

pisquee

Having a discussion at work, trying to work out what the guy behind bjork was playing - looks like some kind of touch screen synth mixed with air hokey!

a few videos of the gig on youtube if you want to look.

What a very strange website, for a very strange product!

What is it? can't tell you.

How much does it cost? Well, we haven't decided?

I downloaded the software but it doesn't make a noise? Thats because the synth part isn't availble (and won't be)

I want to write my own? Very difficult

Are you giving conerts where I can hear one? We have done.

They don't exactly seem to be very proactive.

After hearing the demos, I'd question what the people 'operating' them are called. Musicians? Personally I would say not, but there again, they are probably musicians in the DJ kind of context - they are producing music, but not as we currently know it?

Very clever electronics and a really good visual display to go along with the sounds, but I'm not convinced it is worthy of the tag 'Music' - this kind of end result's been around for years, and never seems to get anywhere due to the unrepeatability aspect. Recreating a great sound would be very difficult the second time around - and doing it on cue, in a musical way would be quite interesting.

It's no less 'music' than something like, say, "Four Minutes Thirty Three Seconds". Personally, I thought it looked very interesting. I'm not surprised they don't publish any sort of list prices for it - I'd imagine that the prospective user base for something like that would be so small as to not make it worth their effort preparing a price list! It'll be interesting to see where a Reactable pops up next ...

... this kind of end result's been around for years, and never seems to get anywhere due to the unrepeatability aspect. Recreating a great sound would be very difficult the second time around - and doing it on cue, in a musical way would be quite interesting.

And thats where we were with analogue synths - you may religiously write down the settings but you never got the same sound again exactly. The less 'ordinary' the sound the more that was true.

Archived