Frog PSU

MrBoomal

£239 for a PSU?! What's it made of, solid silver?

If you know what voltage it spits out, and how many amps it needs to be able to deliver, I bet you can find a compatible one for a lot less than that.

There can be a little more to it than just Voltage and Current (max ripple, noise rejection) but I agree with Gareth that £239 contains a 'comfortable' margin.

Computer PCs are too cheap, mainly as they are built is vast volumes where very low cost assembly is the norm.

On the other hand, when a manufacturer of "something" decides to build a power supply rather than buy an off-the-shelf generic unit, you know they are going to be (a) expensive, and (b) almost certainly not as good as the off-the-shelf items, as generally the power supply ends up getting designed by someone who does power supply designs as a sideline, rather than as their job focus.

when a manufacturer of "something" decides to build a power supply you know they are going to be almost certainly not as good as the off-the-shelf items.

I have to disagree with that. PC power supplies are squeezed on cost to the point where the 5V line wobbles all over the place. A reasonable amount of PC crashes are actually poor PSU voltage problems.

The designer of a lighting desk can afford to spend an extra £10 on his PSU to ensure that it's not going to take out the £3k desk.

That said he's probably not spent an additional £200 on the PSU. Thats the spares department just putting the arm in.

Archived