Technical Theatre Guide for Stage Crew

Hi,

I help out backstage for an amateur theatre group over the last 6 years and would like to take up some studies to learn more about backstage.

Does anyone know the best Course, Webb sites or books and can start on? I work full-time and only work on a home study or part-time study.

Hi - and welcome. The best place to start is the training and qualification section - there is masses of info there. Loads of our members have asked the question over the years and you'll find tons of advice! The search function reveals quite a lot of topics, some of them quite old, I note! - most info seems still current.

There are a few book lists too, which are great. If you work full time, your options are much more limited, and although there is a lot of info on-line, there isn't a huge amount based in the UK - 'Stagecraft', in a google search is quite useful.

Best advice is to spend an hour or two browsing the forum, and you'll soon work out how to get info.

Paul

mods

Seconded - plenty of reading is the way forward, along with fostering an involvement with as many am-dram or community theatre groups as you can find in your area as a means of putting your new-found knowledge into practice. IMHO, learning by doing is the best way.

• 3 weeks later...
Your profile does not say how old you are, but if you can get some time off your full time job, I can recommend spending ten days in Scarborough at the National Student Drama Festival. There is no upper age restriction for tech crew. You will get to learn how to build venues from scratch; installing seating rakes, lighting trusses, sound rigs and outdoor lighting. In addition, there is a comprehensive workshop programme, which, in previous years, has included Avolites, Le Maitre, Strand, professional sound engineers, stage management techniques, and the opportunity to make great industry contacts and friends for life....

I can totally agree with Sarah Q, the NSDF is a totally refreashing view on how backstage theatre works and is well worth the visit, both socially and work experience. Alternatively get yourself up to the fringe and just badger someone into giving you some work ANYTHING!! You'll sharp make some great contacts and coupled with your amature experinces you be surprised how much you already know.

As for official training there are various courses out there, its just finding the one most suited to your needs.

Good Luck

I recommend going to the theatre you do amateur work in and talking to the Technicians there they might be able to give you some work experience or even put you on the casual list there which you could work around you full time job.

Thats how I started :-)

Archived