DVD Recorder

mike

Has anyone bought or tried a good DVD-R in recent times. As our use of AV increases, I think it only makes sense to employ a DVD player/recorder for superior quality/reliability during performance... inplace of our trusty, but slightly tired video player

Cheers

mike.

pioneer and panasonic are reasonable recorders, cant recommended certain models as they depend on price, which your only paying for the type of interface you have with it, the technology is quite standard throught, cept for a few things like better dca's etc... working in a hifi store does tend to bias your views though

...but we have sold a few pioneers and we havent had any back with any problems aswell. I am not actually sure whether they have the HDMI interface on it like their plasma's, meridian have it on their g98 dvd player (we sent ours back after week, it broke :rolleyes: the denon dvd2200 was better picture quality though)... I think I am advertising now... anyway.... I'd recommened pioneer for a set-top, hifi seperate style recorder, and probably sony for a pc recorder, though I'd wait until the technology unravells a bit.

I think video will still have its place for some time yet, you can still be paying £200 for a video player, but a dvd player you can get for around £50 multi region from certain high street stores...lalala...

• 2 weeks later...

What type of show do you require the DVDs for? We've started using DVDs for playback of AV cues in dramas and operas and found the best way is to burn them on a Apple Mac. Most Macs now come with internal DVD burners and the software is a doddle to use. This allows you to create customisable menus, so that each cue is in place and easily identifiable. One Big advantage of customisable menus is that you can have the menu items listed discreetly in dark gray over a Black background so that if for some reason the DVD output reached the projector/screen while at the menu, its not too obvious.

Other advantages are that the DVD projects can be saved onto Hard disc, meaning that if any changes get made at technical rehearsals, it's easy to just tweak the project and burn a new copy rather than starting over.

The Apple branded discs work on almost any DVD player. The Toshiba SD 330 ESB DVD player only costs about £80.00 and has the advantage that you can switch off the onscreen display of 'play', 'pause', etc, messages so that these wont get output to stage if your cue is starting from pause or some such.

One further tip about creating DVD show discs: Always add some extra (usually black)material at the end of each clip, so that the dvd player doesn't jump back to the menu before you have time to fade it out/crossfade/whatever.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for that. It's for dance, so we tend to have mucg longer clips. We also have one piece of video that runs for the full lenght of that piece, approx 15 mins.

Thanks for the helpful tips!

mike.

Archived