Broken dimmer

heinz57

We have 7 dimmers in our college theatre. 6 zero 88 6 channel dimmers patched to the main grid and foot sockets and the 7th is a zero 88 delta 4 which has its own separate single sockets on the ceiling of the theatre. The delta 4 is primarily for the house lights and is why I have started this discussion.

This delta 4 has 4 channels. Only 2 of them work. So we have to patch half our houselights onto the other dimmers leaving us with less channels to play with. This delta 4 has been sent away to be repaired numerous times but each time it has broke again shortly after. Its that broke sometimes it displays 3 or 4 channels working even though there not. Anyway I'll skip right to the point. We was wandering if fitting another fuse might work? Or how much would it cost to replace (And I really don't think replacing is our best bet)

Oh and a bit more info, the delta 4 is hard patched. The others are soft patched. and we need 3 channels for our houselights, all channels doubled up (the house lights being paired across the theatre. 3 pairs of lights. 2 to the delta 4, the other to dimmer 5 or 6. I think, I cant remember the exact one)

Thanks

Matt

I'd get back to the people who repaired it and see if it was the same component breaking each time, and if so, what it was.. (chances are equally good they just gave it a new board so they never worked it out in that much detail)

whatever is breaking gives a clue to the problem...

its as if you were breaking pencils all the time when you wrote, the problem isnt that you are breaking the pencils, its that you write too hard.... yes it needs replaced but the problem also needs rectified!

Dude, it's not that the Delta has been sent away for repair numerous times, just that the guy whom I sent it to was the previous technician at our esteemed establishment of further education (and who currently works for a very well known and respected Theatrical Installation Co.. No names, no packdrill etc.) He thought it was the triacs, as two of the 4 channels are permanently stuck ON, and changed them. Turns out it wasn't, and I've been useing my workarounds ever since, as I don't have sufficient "in the box" knowledge to go buggering about with it myself. I could ask Big Nick to have a look, but, as happened when I last tried to get it (and the Ryger) fixed, we'd not get the unit back for months, maybe years!

Anyway, it all costs money, and that is a scarce commodity, so we direct it where it will do the most good.

How often do we need more than 36 channels (that's 72 luminaires - mmmmmmm blinding) anyway? Alright, 18's down and fuses are cheap. I'll fix that one.

Khali, have you called Zero88 about it?

They do have a reasonable support department who might be able to help you - or at least give you a quote for a proper service and repair.

It's hard to get budget if you don't know how much things cost.

Khali, have you called Zero88 about it?

They do have a reasonable support department who might be able to help you - or give you a quote for a proper serivce and repair.

Good suggestion, and appreciated.

Situation is a bit awkward, as Perf Arts in our establishment is probably not a profit-maker. I'm not in a very good position to start writing repairs requisitions if we can "get by".

Thanks again.

Nontheless I'd suggest calling Keith (our Service Technician) when you get a chance - he'll be able to talk you through the faults and suggest what might be causing the problems. 01633 838088.

Archived