English weather - weatherproof speakers

ianmt36

I am looking for some weatherproof speakers for PA at oudoor shows and events - programmes covers small live bands, background music, spoken voice

The speakers will not be under cover

The only two I have come across are Bose (402, 802 - but no sub !!) and Technomad

Comments, thoughts, ideas welcome (excluding moving to a warmer country)

thanks

Ian

I understand that EV do weatherproof versions of it's ZX range. In terms of subs, I used to find it was reasonably practical to shelter/cover them up to keep the rain off... but the mid/top speakers needed to be exposed. I used to use RCF's Monitor 8, though not really designed for outdoor PA applications, I managed reasonable results.

Oh, if they're gonna get wet, best to stick to passive speakers for safety!

Hope this helps!

Richie

Meyer UPA1 of various revisions are known for their robustness and ability to withstand water! I have used them outside many times and left them there for a month and they still work/sound fine!

Great if you are hiring but not so good if you are buying as I believe meyer now only make the powered version except for bulk orders of the old models.

Poppadom

The Bose site says

Durability

Need a speaker that works as hard as you do? The 802 III speakers are now part of our new Installed Anywhere® speaker line, meeting our strictest standards for outdoor use. The transducer has been upgraded to withstand snow, sleet and rain, severe cold, high heat and humidity—the worst that Mother Nature can dish out. The input/output connectors are extremely rugged and reliable, and the sturdy yet lightweight mica-reinforced polyethylene cabinet stands up to severe weather and frequent transporting.

EDIT

AND - they now have speakons at long last!

Edit: Google "weatherproof loudspeakers"

Edit II: see http://www.technomad.com/index.html

IIRC the technomad boxes are quite popular on the PSW forums. A number of companies have changed their stock of general purpose sx300/srm450s to these simply because they sound good and are bulletproof. I'm not sure whether they are available in the UK though, and if so how much they would cost.

Technomad speakers list 2 UK distributors/importers on their site. Their speakers are good sounding - I've heard them a couple of times in the States, but never heard them driven hard or with a wide variety of source material. The dollar prices have remained pretty static over the years but due to the rise of the pound, their real prices in the UK (based on advertised prices in the States) have dropped considerably - although I don't know what their importers charge for their services. Their real advantages are their durability and versatility - well suited for general hire use and definitely would be my number one choice for general purpose speakers if I was setting up a small/medium, sized PA hire company. Incidentally, they also do rack cases, and their sister company Hardrigg do some neat flight cases to match - all similarly indestructible.

Regards,

Jazomir

Hi. I work in an ampitheatre and we use 18" EVs for FOH and 15" JBLs for foldback. Both have been fantastic in the horrid rain and we don't bother to get the EVs in until the end of the season. One thing I would say for the EVs; their bass response is fantastic! I've been really inpressed with them, particularly in a venue that seems to eat bass before it reaches the audience! :)

You should have a look at Community's R-Series and WET II Series. Both come with a 15 year warranty covering the integrity of the cabinet even when used in harsh, humid, wet or salty environments.

They are widely used outdoors in stadiums, cruise ships, theme parks and prety much anywhere else people want sound outdoors.

The smallest R-Series product, the R.25 is a stunning little box and is well worth a look/listen. More info can be found using the links below:

Community WET Series II

Community R-Series

I've had experience of older 802s getting wet and then going mouldy, so make sure you've got their new ones if you want them to be weatherproof. We also had some powered Meyer stuff, looks like the concert series from their website (650-P subs, possibly MSL-4 tops (I'm guessing)). Anyway they got a bit damp, we'd covered all the powered stuff, and we brought them inside and just removed the foam on the front and left it to dry, it was soaking up all the rain and water, and the inside of the cabs were still dry. I'm not a soundy, but apart from some amusing shaking of the bag with the bassline, I've not had too much issue chucking black bags over smaller speakers and running them like that, although I'm sure loads of you will be sobbing at the thought of it. :oops:

Archived