16+ casual jobs

Hi Guys,

Excuse me if it's been covered before, but:

Does anyone know of somewhere in Cambridge, that will offer a 16 year old a part-time/casual (weekends, evenings etc) technical/stage related job?

I don't know what the rules are on under 18 jobs in venues - but I'm hoping that it will allow for me to at least do some donkey work.

Many Thanks,

Tom

You could try stage electrics, ive just done work experience with them and becausae I'm only 14 I can't work for them get in a summer job, however, they said that next summer when I will be 16, the might have a place because it gets busy, so you could always try stage electrics. Also, the staff are really friendly if it makes a difference.

You could try stage electrics, ive just done work experience with them and becausae I'm only 14 I can't work for them get in a summer job, however, they said that next summer when I will be 16, the might have a place because it gets busy, so you could always try stage electrics. Also, the staff are really friendly if it makes a difference.

Thanks Jamie. SLX would be alright, but I was thinking more along the lines of work in a Venue.

Tom

The only other thing I could think of is try giving the arts theater a call or maybe even the junction, not the corn exchange because they are all touring company's and they already have a head of electrics.

James (hehe, where did u get jamie from???)

The only other thing I could think of is try giving the arts theater a call or maybe even the junction, not the corn exchange because they are all touring company's and they already have a head of electrics.

James (hehe, where did u get jamie from???)

Sorry, James, must have miss-read your profile.

I would really like to work at the Junction, and have a contact there, however, I seem to remember someone telling me that the Junction will only accept people 18+ due to insurance :huh:

Can anyone confirm this?

You don't really understand how receiving venues work, do you? :huh: Of all the venues in Cambridge, the Corn Exchange is the most likely, not the least, to be a source of casual work on get-ins/outs - they have more of a throughput of productions than other venues, and you can get bigger shows into there than into any other Cambridge venue (bigger shows need more crew on the in and out, it's simple logic). The Arts would also be a good one to try, but they don't have quite the turnover of incoming shows that the Corn Exchange does. You could give the Junction a go, but I don't know how much use they make of casual staff.

(Edit to fix quotes)

Ok, thanks guys. So - can I assume, if those venues were to have vacancies, they would be open to a 16 year old?

WIth respect, don't you think the best way to find out would be to ask them?? Give the venues concerned a call, ask to speak to the technical manager, and find out from the horse's mouth ...

Note that casual work at thye corn ex. may well mean also mornings (I see in your OP you state evenings and weekends.) Usually crew are booked to do the load in and fit up, followed by the out in the evening.

Entersoundman,

I think weve spoke on MSN before,

I am on the casual staff list for the Corn Exchange, in meaning that they just call on you when they need you.. but other than that you cannot work there as they have a 17 age limit.

The ADC will accept 16 year olds as I too am on there casual staff list, and the Arts is only looking for ushers.

The loft again you have to be 18 to work there, I have only been there once and because it is a bar, it does not allow U18's.

The Junction I have Djed at before, So I pressume that you can work there also.

Try prehaps the Man on the moon, ive never been there myself So dont know.

Archived