Harness and other Equipment to buy new

cknapper

Hi all,

I have a sit in harness and a old rope and stuff so really need to buy new full body harness with clips front and back and a new scaff Y lanyard also a new 60m rope,

Im based in cheshire anyone know of any good shops to go to or a good online one to vist and buy these from.

Any ideas

Cheers

Carlos

I have a sit in harness and a old rope and stuff so really need to buy new full body harness with clips front and back and a new scaff Y lanyard also a new 60m rope,

Im based in cheshire anyone know of any good shops to go to or a good online one to vist and buy these from.

Caving Supplies in Buxton is a favourite of mine. Not a great website, but a cracking little shop.

Tag Safety near Saddleworth are very good too. They're one of the few suppliers who actually offer a variety of harnesses. (They're my supplier of choice for harnesses, because the Petzl Navaho doesn't work for me - they only come in two sizes: a bit too small or way too big. I'm currently mostly using a Troll Ibex.)

I'll second TAG, the "Tactical and Special Ops" section has a range of kit in black including the Troll Ibex which could be useful. They're also amongst the cheapest I've found for rope as well.

Total access also have a few different harnesses on their site.

For a drive, the PETZEL uk distrobuter and training center (they are THE place to learn to and pass exams on working at height!!) are at Tebay on the M6...

I know its miles from where you are, but in this job generaly "we" spend a lot of time on the road..

its litteraly a stones throw from the motorway..

if not I'm sure you can contact them...

LYON EQUIPMENT

the majority of staff there are all cave rescue AND OR mountain rescue!

(I've visited it when I was a manager of an outdoor sports company)

I'm suggesting it as petzel gear really is the mutts nutts.... costs a bomb but my god is it worth it.. my mate got a harness from them and managed to fall asleep while hanging in it... yes aided by a long shift but he said the harness was just too comfy and it was too easy to get relaxed ** laughs out loud **

all petzel stuff can be bought to measurements.... theyre very "adaptable" to sizes

Abacus are one of the major Lyon stockists. To be honest I'm not that keen on a lot of Petzl stuff, I've got one of their sport sit harnesses thats fantastic but have never liked the shoulder straps on any of their full body harnesses and as for the ASAP, well...

I guess it's just a case of personal preference. I suppose I should also point out that TAG and lots of other places do excellent training courses and are also run by climbers, cavers and generally outdoors types.

all petzel stuff can be bought to measurements.... theyre very "adaptable" to sizes

Are you saying Petzl harnesses are available made to measure? If so: details please.

As standard their industrial harnesses are only available in 2 sizes, to cover a *huge* range.

but have never liked the shoulder straps on any of their full body harnesses

I know what you mean. After experimenting with home-made padding and wotnot for a while I just ended up always wearing a polo shirt to work.

It looks like they've addressed that with the new Navaho Bod harness - it has a padded shoulder 'yoke' a bit like the Singing Rock Profi-wossname:

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/frontoffice/Travail/static/products/NAVAHO/bretelles.jpg

I have to say the harness looks good, and the Croll version looks ace for people who do a lot of SRT (pretty much nobody in our industry). I might buy one tomorrow if they made one to fit me, but alas the sizes are the same as the old Navaho.

Of course the other option for people who don't need the dorsal attachment point is to use a sit-harness/chest harness combination such as a Navaho Sit harness with a Chester.

and as for the ASAP, well...

Again, I know just what you mean. (I think)

Thats changed a bit too - not the ASAP itself, but they've tested it with more kit and are a bit more flexible about what you use it with now - the 'Absorbica' range of lanyards is now certified as well as the ASAP'sorber. This is an interesting read too, I have to say I'm impressed with the clarity and pragmatism of that statement.

I'm still not going to buy one any time soon - the (SAR) Rocker is still vastly better value for money for what I do - but if I did a lot of roped access malarky I think I might just get one.

lots of other places do excellent training courses

Of course you're right. Good as it is, Lyon Equipment is a provider of WaH training, not the provider.

Rope Assemblies were showing off a harness on their strand at ABTT which is worth a look as a Petzl alternative.

Ooh, frustrating - their website just says 'harness' - no picture and it doesn't say who makes it.

I'm guessing from their relationship with Kong (all the rest of their PPE seems to be Kong, and they even go so far as to re-badge the Frog as their own product) that the harness is Kong too (the cheesily named 'Firebrigade' harness).

Does this look familiar?:

http://www.kong.it/products/a8W998.jpg

Sean

x

but have never liked the shoulder straps on any of their full body harnesses
I know what you mean....It looks like they've addressed that with the new Navaho Bod harness - it has a padded shoulder 'yoke' a bit like the Singing Rock Profi-wossname
Call me a fussy bugger but I'm still not happy! I tried a friends out the other day and found it got rather hot under the 'yoke', having said that I was doing a lot more climbing than I would probably do in an 'normal' days work.

...if they made one to fit me...
I've never found any of their harnesses fit that well but I always assumed it was due to me being 6'4'' with a 34'' waist*, it's interesting to know other people have problems as well. Even my Petzl sit harness just about fits nicely if I've had a big dinner, with the smaller size the distance between waist and leg loops is to small. :)

Re: ASAP I suppose you're right, although for me the price to flexibility ratio just doesn't cut it. I have to admit I hadn't seen the latest info.

*Who would have though I'd be posting my measurements on an online forum and the Blue Room no less!

Archived