520i Busking

philis

we have a lot of local dance schools at this time of year, if we are lucky we get chance to do a bit of plotting during a rehearsal but so often no rehearsal at all :)

but when there is a chance to plot some states sometimes the dancers change what they are doing the next time you see it.

In this situation it would be useful to fade the htp values of the playback and take over with subs is it possible to make a playback master or any other way of doing this.

thanks for any help

Phil

The way I used to do it when I was working on schools' dance shows, and Edinburgh Fringe shows, was to record several states on submasters and live mix it, ie have one submaster for warm wash, one for cold, one for each colour of the cyc, one for each "special" etc....

I had a rough idea of what was happening next having watched a brief rehearsal, but would do it more by "feel" - quite good fun!!! I have easily busked movers on a 500 series too, very straightforward. I think recording playbacks might make it overly complicated....

Just my 2p worth....

For generics, using subs is the way to do it.

For busking movers and scrollers I tend to use groups and macros. For instance I would record a group for each colour (e.g. one for red, one for blue... etc etc), and then have a Macro which goes along the lines of "1.2 thru 20.2 @ group "

"1 thru 20" being the fixtures I want to change,

".2" addresses the exact attribute, in this case colour, also ensuring that no other attribute will change.

After pressing the macro you have to input whichever group it is you want to change to.

You can do the same with strobing, gobos, position, shape generator etc. It's possibly a long way around and can take a while to program, but it certainly works and means you can have everything at a key stroke. I really wouldn't use playbacks on a 520 for busking, except possibly for doing a very basic state, which you can subsequently work from.

I hope that may give you some ideas... :huh:

I agree with what is said here,

but the question stands if during any show if something changes and I want to go to subs is it possible to fade the playback and bring it back in afterwards??

I would imagine so, but I think it will be more of a "work around" than a proper way of doing it. Can you give an example of the kind of thing you mean might go wrong and the kind of rig you are working with... e.g. just generics etc??

I'm currently thinking along the lines of setting a sub with a basic state on it to solo, which you can then build on... could this work for you??!! When you want to go back to play back you can then just do a goto. Sorry if it's rubbish advice and it doesn't work, it's late and I'm attempting to think on my feet! :huh:

If you're using the faders on the playback rather than the GO button, then yes, I'm pretty sure you can fade the playback. I'm not anywhere near a 520 at the moment so can't try it, but if you set the playback control to Manual rather than Auto then it should be do-able - split the faders (one up, one down) and theoretically it should fade the state to black. I've never worked that way though, just tend to use subs for dance school shows.

To fade out of the playback you can just type (I think)

cue 0 time (fade time) G.O.

after putting your subs up

Then if you want to get back into the playback where you left off

cue x load (to pre-load it ready just in case)

or

cue x G.O (to run it straight away)

hit go and you can be back in where ever you want to be (if using the load method).

HTH

Regards

Steve

To fade out of the playback you can just type (I think)

cue 0 time (fade time) G.O.

after putting your subs up

Steve

This depends on the mode of your subs, If they are set to normal mode then you will put everyone into a blackout. You would need to set all of the subs to independent mode.

I would imagine so, but I think it will be more of a "work around" than a proper way of doing it. Can you give an example of the kind of thing you mean might go wrong and the kind of rig you are working with... e.g. just generics etc??

the theatre rig is mainly Generics, but we usually have 4 CP stage 300s on a mid stage bar, maybe some floor cans and UVs along the front.

Grid girl is correct about using the faders to remove a scene and then you can rebuild it using subs. Also, Macros are possibly a good idea!

Archived