Use of movers

RJS

If you had the choice of either hiring a MAC 250 or a light from pearl river I definatly know the one I'd go with!

errrrrrm I would hire a pearl river 250 anyday before I hired a Mac 250. Why are you so happy to stick up for mac 250's there rubbish!!! Not saying all macs are, but the higher end of the mac range is good not that you would know because you would still be hiring your mac 250. And I don't hire I buy to hire. I trust some small companies because you don't have to wait 3 months to get a fuse holder from martin's parts dept that's how good martin is!

And it's not all about the price if a fixtures good enough I will pay the price but no point buying a mac just because you scene the big boys play with one 5yrs ago at plasa is there now (mac 500)!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had the choice of either hiring a MAC 250 or a light from pearl river I definatly know the one I'd go with!

errrrrrm I would hire a pearl river 250 anyday before I hired a Mac 250. Why are you so happy to stick up for mac 250's there rubbish!!! Not saying all macs are, but the higher end of the mac range is good not that you would know because you would still be hiring your mac 250. And I don't hire I buy to hire. I trust some small companies because you don't have to wait 3 months to get a fuse holder from martin's parts dept that's how good martin is!

And it's not all about the price if a fixtures good enough I will pay the price but no point buying a mac just because you scene the big boys play with one 5yrs ago at plasa is there now (mac 500)!

Yay! another argument over various moving lights :)

No-one ever seems to take into account the application!

But from the orginal post, I agree that that particular selection of moving lights for a school is the result of a very pushy sales rep. I'm suprised they didn't spec Robe!

What ever happened to just using decent simple lighting. I would hate to imagine what the school play will look like, ** laughs out loud **!

As to the earlier comment on Martin being 'Ferrari' - I laughed. What of High End & Vari-lite.

PS Who is pearl river? :) And learn to spell- "They're"!!

Guest lightnix

Definitely a bad idea, particularly for a school environment. Despite the hopes and dreams of twenty years ago, moving lights will probably never completely replace conventionals.

Apart from all the points made below, the school will be faced with vastly increased maintenance costs. If there is that kind of money available, it would be far better spent on a top-notch conventional rig and a decent desk, capable of controlling movers, which could then be hired in on an as-needed basis for larger productions.

Also remember that, with the current pace of innovation and the advent of LED kit, any movers you buy will probably be obsolete within a few years.

As to the earlier comment on Martin being 'Ferrari' - I laughed. What of High End & Vari-lite.

yeah I was just making a figure of speech.

in comparison to some other low end stuff.

Pearl river

this is what all the hype is about, personally ive seen better But hey, if thats what you want, then thats up to you

and is it me, or is every low budget moving head made by the same factory cos the PR, piolet150r looks very familular

#####

Vince

PS Who is pearl river? :huh:

Pearl River - http://www.pr-lighting.com/

Basically another one of these new far eastern lighting companies - kicking out all sorts of various fixtures, lanterns and disco stuff.

The Pilot 250s I've used a couple of times are actually surprisingly good - yes they have their quirks, but nothing either a software update or a Mk2 would cure.

The first time I used them I was very unsure about wether they were going to be any good (as I was hearing various horror stories on them) but to their credit they beat the pants off a Mac 250...

Stu

If there is that kind of money available, it would be far better spent on a top-notch conventional rig and a decent desk, capable of controlling movers, which could then be hired in on an as-needed basis for larger productions.

Couldn't agree more - buy a Fat Frog, some decent lanterns (S4, SLs, Pacifics, Cantata Fs etc) and some nice dimmers, and you'll have a far better rig in terms of usability and flexability than a few movers...

Plus for a school a generic rig will always be the simplest. Switch on dimmers / desk, put up fader 1 and a FOH profile comes up. Soooo much easier to learn the basics / start of lighting on than loading in a profile, striking the beasts, terminating the lines, LTP/HTP, flipped focus etc etc

Why run before you can walk!?

Stu

So what would you define as a good fixture, if you say that the MACs are crap!!

Vinny if you read my post you will see me say the higher end of martin products are really good. I just have a problem with people who know nothing about them and think the Mac 250 is king and we should all love them!!!

A Good fixture is reliable and user friendly (good all rounder)"something that the Mac 250 isn't.

In my opinion anyone can use and design intellegent fixtures the real 'art' of lighting design is making Generic Lighting work for you. If you use them rarely they have more of an effect when they are used. Macs are just an easy way out for people who cant design real lighting.

But then people who can't design real lighting all do the same things with their Macs, thus taking us back to post no. 1 on this thread.

A good LD does know how to use moving heads and uses them appropriately - i.e. appropriate to the show rather than to the showing off! [Pardon my bad grammar which was intended. My artistic license was renewed last week!]

In my opinion anyone can use and design intellegent fixtures the real 'art' of lighting design is making Generic Lighting work for you. If you use them rarely they have more of an effect when they are used. Macs are just an easy way out for people who cant design real lighting.

Sorry, but I disagree with this comment.

The real art of lighting design is producing something that appropriate to the production and visually interesting and exciting to the audience. It doesn't matter what fixtures are used, it's the end result that's important.

Andy Stone

Stagetec

The real art of lighting design is producing something that appropriate to the production and visually interesting and exciting to the audience. It doesn't matter what fixtures are used, it's the end result that's important.

Spot on mate.

Lighting is created by the designer, or the technician, NOT by the fixture.

intelligent lighting is only as intelligent as the operator.

I have seen installs and performances where they have multiple moving fixtures, like the VL5, and so forth. and the lighting design has been utter tripe.

And yes I read the bit about the high end martin being good, but at the end of the day, its what you do with it, NOT what you have.

vince

Well I agree - the end result really is the most important thing. Why waste lots of money on movers if there is no real point for them... And even when you have got them, isn't it better you save them for the best bits in the piece, otherwise it just totally ruins the effect.

TBH, in the past I've used movers in shows purely because the director has made a point of using them (school shows eh) and sometimes it showed, because I hadn't envisaged using them in a design, but then having to think of places were they could be used... Of course some moments looked fab, but I think it can help a Lighting Design to have a LD who's actually wanting to be using the fixtures for a precise use, rather than having his hand twisted into it, so to speak.

If your hiring 6 Macs say (so thats about £500-£600 for a week) for no clear definded, pre planned reason (I.e you hire them, rig em, and then think about what your going to do with them), then whats the point! You may as well have a spanking generic rig, or a nice desk to work with, or lots of other toys (gobo rotators, FX units, extra pyro, extra dimmers/lanterns etc)

Stu

Guest lightnix
If Martin = Ferrari, then...

High End = McLaren

Vari-lite = old Ford GT40 a world beater in it's day, but now...

Archived