CD/MD player storage

Light Console

Hello all, daft, quick question time from me again I'm afraid. Many moons ago, I remember someone in a get in making sure all of the CD/MD players were kept horizontal from the van to the desk and out again. He said at the time that players must always be kept the right way up. Since then I have always tried to keep them that way.

Today, I have been properly flight casing one of my playback racks, but as it is larger than the old box that I made, I can't keep it the right way up. Does it really matter if it is stored on its side or front up? It might not get used now until December!

CD player is a Marantz PMD321, and MD player is an old Sony JE520.

Thanks in advance.

Check the manuals, they should tell you.

Though if you are tipping, be extra careful to remove all media before transport. (I made the mistake and spent a good half hour of the next get-in dismantling a cd deck to get the tray to open).

the theory is that the springs that support the mechanism are designed to work with the CD player flat and therefore a knocks and bangs and transport vibrations are more likely to damage the laser / mechanism if the CD player is on end. (in some car multiplayers if you are mounting the player vertically you turn something round or over to better support the mechanism)

that said my DJ CD players that I try to keep flat only last a couple of years each and the CD in my main drive rack that lives on its end has lasted over 10 years

Archived