UHF Radio microphone frequencies (Channel 70 / 69)

JohnMac

I currently run 4 UHF radio microphone systems in the deregulated channel 70. Expectations of producers and musical directors are growing and I can fore-see the need for additional systems.

Research shows that "For Professional use do not use channel 70 systems", and that only one of the channel 70 frequencies can be used in association with other systems using channel 69.

Can anyone please explain why channel 70 is not recommended, and as many of my local groups have deregulated systems, is there inter-modulation across all the channel 69 frequencies or will some still reliably function when used concurrently with the four frequencies in channel 70.

Regards

John Mac.

It's a combination of practical and technical issues really, the channel 70 equipment is a band system, you can go where you like within that band - for most well know branded kit, this means 4 channels. In channel 69 things are a bit more complicated - 6 or 7 sets of co-ordinated channels may work, but intermodulation can be a problem, it just takes a little tweaking to get a stable system. In the channel 69 shared area then there are 14 listed frequencies, but around 10 can be stable, depending on the systems.

If you need more channels, then buy or hire some kit, get the license and don't worry too much. After all, with the most popular kit being frequency agile, you can evolve your system as you extend it.

For what it is worth, many of the manufacturers have their own frequency lists on their web sites, that should be intermod free, but mixing brands can lead to very odd things happening - so probably best avoided.

Can anyone please explain why channel 70 is not recommended, and as many of my local groups have deregulated systems, is there inter-modulation across all the channel 69 frequencies or will some still reliably function when used concurrently with the four frequencies in channel 70.

John

There have been several previous posts regarding the use of channels 70 and 69.

This is probably the best one. If you are still puzzled when you have read it then you could try a PM

Brian

Thanks Paul & Brian, Just the well informed experience and knowledge I was hoping for. I currently have 4 UHF Trantec S4.5 systems and am considering added the S4.16 8 pack, and would be a crying shame if I had to abandon the S4.5. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the S4.5 reprogrammed with some or all of the channel 69 frequencies.

Archived