Getting In The Industry

tom_1987

I am 19 years old and have been involved within the whole industry from an early age (13) at my secondary school pointing on shows, conferences and live performances.

I have now decided to try and become a Live Sound Engineer as I firstly heard there is a lack in the industry of quality engineers and secondly because I have a passion for live events. Reading Other peoples topics and peoples replies and think there are a lot of people with a lot of difference stories and experiences.

I would be more then happy to start and the bottom of the pile and work my way through the ranks as such. I live in South-East London/Kent now but would move up or down the country to get a chance at the industry.

Basically what I’m really asking is if you "the people" know of any companies that take on people like myself who are willing to do pretty much anything to be giving a chance? Or know or any route that I could tackle? I have thought about courses but the more I read here makes me think that I will get better experience from hands on more then books!

If anyone can help me I would be so appreciated of it as I have been looking at companies and courses for months now not knowing what to do.

Many Thanks People

Tom Gardner

Tom,

you have a good attitude from what you've said, books are good for referencing technical stuff but hands on is the way forward. You really have to throw yourself in and maybe work for nothing sometimes. Be prepared for a lot of work and you may not even touch a desk for a while until your employer has confidence that you can hold your own.

Just remember bad attitude and being unreliable will get you nowhere.

Have fun,

sam

Hi mate, Im in a fairly similar place my self. I have just become self employed and I work for 3 companies. 2 of which are small 150 - 500 cap style pub gigs were I FOH engineer on poor to falling apart gear. Which is great experience, because nothings easy, you have 2 be constantly checking equipment and fault checking BUT I get to Foh engineer which is fantastic experience. The other company I work for, do gigs from 500 - 4000 + were I crew / stage tech / build stages and I am starting to FOH the smallest gigs they do, and I hope to get on monitors and foh at some point doing the bigger stuff. I am also learning to drive Class C LGV lorries to boost my income. I am just about getting more £ then I was when I was waiting tables (which is great).

Theres a company I've noticed called Dobson Sound Productions LTD (http://www.dobsonsound.co.uk/index.html) who seem to be looking for 2 staff in your area which are jobs I'd love to get. check them out mate. Other then them there are a lot of other big companies like Brit row and Cane green, but I'd also try and find a smaller company were you will get to FOH engineer a lot and hopefully move up the ranks .

2 books I've found really good are Handbook for Sound Engineers by Glen M Ballou and Live Sound Reinforcement by Scott Hunter Stark really worth a read.

It really depends at what level you wish to end up? Most live sound engineers for the tours etc are freelancers. Either the prefered engineer of the band or someone with great contacts with the big rental co's, often both.

I started young, and have worked my way up the ladder. However I am still very much on the bottom rung of said ladder. I spent all of last week on mons for the likes of Chas & Dave, BBC Big Band etc. You can't get much better experience than that (ehem :) ), but in order for me to get to this point its taken ALOT of working at low levels.

Firstly you need to discover which section of the industry you want to be in (there are several - classical, rock etc) and at what level. From there onwards the main decisions come in 3 blocks: FOH Engineer, Mons Engineer, System Engineer. I know many people at a lower level can do all 3, I do it too, however if you want to be up the top level you need to pick one and work on that. Granted you may well not know what each has to offer and whether it suits you. Getting the experience of doing all of these is difficult without a shaddow of a doubt. I would suggest aiming at the smaller companies first. You are much more likely to "bleed" across into jobs other than what your specifically employed to do.

Personally, I can do all 3 of the above in most areas however I am a lampy! ;) :welcome:

Thanks everyone for their replies it is all appreciated!

I have also thought about working on my CV until I am able to get a job. For instance getting qualifications that will be able to benefit me and the industry employer, what kind of qualifications stand out to employees with someone in my positions, I have thought about getting quals like fork-lift, higher first-aider? can anyone recommend anything else?

Forget what everyone else says! you guys are great!!

Tom Gardner

xox

:welcome:

If your happy to move then Adlib in Liverpool might be worth giving a call. Ask to speak to Dave Jones. There was a review in a recent Night Magazine about sound trainning and Adlib seemed to have a good setup. Basically if they take you on they will guarantee you a number of hours a year and train you up on the job. They will even do things like spreading your pay out accross the whole year so that you are still getting money coming in early in the year when it's quiet (January, Feburary etc). When ever I've come accross Adblib crews/kit I've always been impressed.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

I quite often see lots of jobs down south going for junior warehouse technicians, or jobs of a similar kind. If I were in your shoes I'd just and apply for them, don't forget if you don't try you don't get.

I recently didn't bother applying for a job in the Yorkshire Dales (meant I could have returned home), because I thought I had less experience than they required.... Turns out nobody applied and the job went to somebody with little or no technical knowledge. Gutted.

Look out on the likes of Monster (search AV and hire), and AV Jobs. I've just applied for a job in Manchester from AV Jobs.

Good luck fella.

EDIT: Spelling

Find companies locally. Give them a call and see if you can pop in. Offer to come and help them out, possibly for free, then maybe for small sums of money. If they like you, and you like them, then things should go from their. Also try and get experience with various different companies equipment and ways of working. Be a sponge- and soak it all up whilst being as helpful as possible, but without getting in the way.

You do sound like you have a good attitude, and that will stand you in good stead.

Archived