Simple DMX controller for pre-programmed shows

Dan G

On the lookout for a small pre-programmable DMX controller. Its application is to run some outdoor colour changing LED stuff. Looking for a unit I can pre program myself and then run with just a few buttons on the front so the customer can select a program simply and easily. Budget is limited for this project, so something inexpensive and simple needed. Ideally, it would have at least one remote contact switch input, but not essential.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dan

It sounds like you want some form of DMX scene store, probably a variant with a sequence and crossfade function.

There are quite a few out there, and most of them have some form of contact interface on the back.

Also, have a look at the architectural control market - there are lots of different architectural systems available with varying capability (and price).

Whilst researching another project, I had a look at the Daslight PC/DMX interfaces and it looked as though some of those do pretty much what you describe; programme on PC then download to simple box with a few buttons. Might be worth a look.

I'm thinking of getting a controller for a similar application, and the lightswitch seems quite good; the lightconverse replay looks pretty decent too.

The lightswitch seems a bit over-specced for what I want to do, though. All I need is something that can control about a dozen LED parcans, and run maybe half a dozen simple chases with them. Each chase should be no more than a dozen steps, but it's important that they crossfade.

£300 doesn't seem massively pricey for the lightswitch, 350 euros for the "replay" is alright too, but are there any cheaper alternatives? I suspect the answer will be "no" but it's worth the ask! It doesn't necessarily have to be an architectural style controller, some of the cheap showtec things look like they might do the job.

but it's important that they crossfade.
Which means that you're almost certainly not going to find a usable unit any cheaper than the AL Lightswitch / LightConverse Replay.

£300-odd is already extremely cheap for this kind of kit - anything cheaper will have cut something important out, like crossfades (which need a reasonable processor), or reliability(!)

Artistic Licence have a good reputation for niche DMX products, but I know nothing about LightConverse.

You might be able to get something like the £70 stairville controller from thomann and rewire some of the switches into a face plate, depends how handy you feel.

Not sure if you would be able to directly select programs either, its been ages since I have used that controller so can't be sure.

Edit:

Looking at it, its seems it is possible, there are 6 chase buttons, with a bit of handy soldering and a few buttons from maplins you could do exactly as I said, program those 6 chases and then, get a blank faceplate and mount 6 buttons in it, and possibly the blackout button. That should give you what you need, obviously if you wanted to get clever you could whack some LEDs in there too, then just run the cables from the faceplate to the hacked stairville, which could be hidden away in a cleverly placed cupboard or something.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_dmxmaster_i.htm

Archived